VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm thinking of putting my leisure battery behind the drivers seat, but not sure how to get the cables for the split charge unit from the engine bay to the battery and is this the best place to put it, and do i do it before i board and carpet the interior?

Cheers
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Doesn't matter.

You can go under the mat then under the step and out to the engine bay through a grommet above the fusebox.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Or you could rotate the existing vehicle battery through 90 degrees and fit the liesure battery next to it on a plate made by clever forum members. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've just come in from fitting mine tonight. I rotated the original and fitted the leisure battery next to it in the engine bay. Looks real neat, infact as long as you cable tie the wires out of the way, you can't even see the leisure battery when the cover is back on. I believe it is a little safer in the engine compartment too, you don't have to worry about venting it or putting it in a plastic container.
Just managed to get the fridge wire from the relay through the bulkhead and under the dash before the rain started. Soldering iron don't like the rain :eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've just come in from fitting mine tonight. I rotated the original and fitted the leisure battery next to it in the engine bay. Looks real neat, infact as long as you cable tie the wires out of the way, you can't even see the leisure battery when the cover is back on. I believe it is a little safer in the engine compartment too, you don't have to worry about venting it or putting it in a plastic container.
Just managed to get the fridge wire from the relay through the bulkhead and under the dash before the rain started. Soldering iron don't like the rain :eek:
Did you have to modify the battery holder at all to accomodate both?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am I not right in thinking that you take a cable from pos and neg, from the leisure battery to a point inside the van and then take all your circuits from there?

Any info on set-up would be good!

Slightly confussed
Mark

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you have to modify the battery holder at all to accomodate both?
Yeh, I made a new bracket. Used the same threaded hole with a bracket gripping the battery from both sides, which also left a decent 2" gap between the two. I then made another bracket that utilises the engine mount bolt to the left of where the battery sits that grips the bottom of the other side of the battery. The leisure battery sits up against the inner wing on the right of the main battery.
Good luck with your install

Am I not right in thinking that you take a cable from pos and neg, from the leisure battery to a point inside the van and then take all your circuits from there?
I plan on running a positive wire to a fuse board as you said, in my bench seat at the rear, negative to an earth point under the bonnet and run my items from that: TV/DVD player, stereo/amp, interior lights, additional cig socket. I'll get some pics up soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts