VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am fitting a relay for tow bar electrics to my 2010 T5.1. The relay needs a dedicated live from the battery with an inline fuse/holder (15amp). I was going to run the live from the starter battery to the fuse box area install the in-line fuse there (so i can get access to it) and then run the cable to the back of the van following the rear light loom.

This got me thinking could i use a spare port on the stock fuse box and make it neater than having a dangling in-line fuse? I.e. run a dedicated live to the back of a spare fuse port in the fuse box and fit the 15a fuse here. Can you wire directly into the back of each fuse location? or is there a single input? I am assuming this is fine as long as the fuse has its onw direct link to the starter battery? Would i need a special connector/plug to wire in this way?

Is this a **** idea? riksy? a bitch to wire? or does it make sense, i like the idea of it being neater.

Cheers

Tom

·
Special Rapporteur
8,953 Posts
I'm sure you can but (opinion only) it's a load of work for little gain, unless you're obsessive about neatness. The unused fuse positions obviously have no terminals installed, so you would need to buy the terminals and wire them up yourself. I've not tried but I would think you can buy them pre-terminated as "repair wires", or you would have to seek out the terminals themselves and crimp them yourself - should be easy enough.

One problem, though, is that if you take a live directly from the battery, you must include a fuse right next to the battery, so that the wiring can't catch fire if the vehicle is involved in an accident. So you then end up fitting two fuses!

Overall (IMO) it's probably not worth doing just for the sake of neatness. My towbar came with a 4-way fuse carrier that hangs in front of the battery, and it looks Ok.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The leisure battery kit from uppex included a custom loom for adding ports to the dashboard fuse box. I would highly recommend this, but in your case this is prob more work than this job requires (as triffic has highlighted)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, really appreciate this advice. since writing the post i had also thought the fuse box in the glove might be to far away from the battery. I will install a "water-proof" inline fuse holder in the engine bay (easier access than the fuse box anyway!) cheers!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
As Triffic says a lot of work for little gain, however for future projects there is plenty of expansion room for fuses under passenger seat I've used these for usb ports and sub woofer, repair wire/ terminals available from Travelinlite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts