VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Reimo conversion currently has 3 fluorescent strip lights fitted in the can, rear and over the cooker/sink area.

I would like to replace them with LED lights. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it? Can I cut into the wiring that is already there, or do I have to re-wire the whole thing? Where is the best place to get 12v led strip lights that would do the job, and are there any that have a dimmer/colour change arrangement?

I have a seperate leisure battery in the rear to power them.

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
Hi, they are just standard caravan fluorescent lights, you can just take them out, the wire was usually about 6 to 8 inches long so there will be a couple of joins or connectors you may be able to wiggle out from the hole or unscrew your panel Red power, White earth.
The thing you will need to think about is how to turn your replacement lights on and off as your floro light has the switch built in and most LED strip lights wont, also some LED lights require a 12v regulator if the are not designed for cars or caravans (these are usually the house type of LED though)
I use this type of LED above my hob ,its the type that Coachman use, it has an on off switch at one end and can swivel, this I find useful as LED's are very bright and do tend to shine straight into your eyes wherever you sit, they are not colour changing or dimmable.
LED's are kinder on your battery but wont light up your interior as much as your old light did.
Kev T:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kev, much appreciated. It's the on/off switch that's important more than anything as you say, so I'll have a look and see what I can find that's designed to work on 12v. I just wanted to confirm I could wire it straight in to the existing wire.

Will see what's about on the interwebs :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just for a bit of further clarification please :)

I've found some switchable strip LEDs similar to Kevs as fitted above for a good price, but it states they need to be run on 12v only. My van has a ZIG unit fitted, so when I'm on hookup, is this going to be a problem for the lights? Will the ZIG do something fancy to convert the power to 12v protecting the LED lamps, or is that not how it works?

Cheers, Si.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts