VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just been told by my local garage that my van needs a full new wiring loom as the wiring is all in a bit of a mess, is this going to be expensive and is it a big job?

2.4 1996 caravelle

·
Registered
643 Posts
yes its a big job, and will be hours of fun to do.... NOT

which part of the loom needs to be replaced ? what are you trying to achieve ?

would suggest a local auto electrician would be able to sort out without the need for a complete loom swap in most cases.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure what parts need replacing but they are advising me to replace the whole loom

Its frustrating when you have no knowledge of this sort of thing and little money to part with to sort it out.

Ive been quoted £300 for the loom and a whole days work so im guessing its gonna be quite alot of $$$ :(

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, everything electrical works at the moment but they said its been bodged up in places and needs sorting , wires cut and taped up etc.....

I will try and get someone to have a look and give this thread as much detail as possible, just a bit worried that this is gonna cost me a fortune

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, everything electrical works at the moment but they said its been bodged up in places and needs sorting , wires cut and taped up etc.....

I will try and get someone to have a look and give this thread as much detail as possible, just a bit worried that this is gonna cost me a fortune
if it all works then its all ok - a tidy up you could do yourself with a cheap soldering iron and heat shrink ;)

sounds like they want to make some £££ from you if it all works.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
what dbug said:
sounds like they want to make some £££ from you
if it aint broke dont fix it.. i never got a new leg when i cut myself- just taped it up with a plaster LOL:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Unless the loom has been on fire then it can be repaired with a little patience and care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts