VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm struggling to get my head around wiring an on-off-on switch that I've bought to control my IKEA Dioder LED lights in the rear. I have previously had a switch that allowed me to turn them on when the doors were shut but I need to be able to close the circuit completely so even with the doors open, the lights don't come on.

I've bought one of these in the hope that I can get it to work in a similar way to the cabin lights:

Firstly, can this be used?

If so, I've been looking at these two diagrams:

The second one is what I'm trying to achieve I think but I can't fathom how to wire the plug.

Here's a bad pic of the original wiring in the van - ignore the green wires:

I know I need the red wire to go to the brown wire of the dioders but can anyone help with the wiring of the rest of it so it will work as desired?

Many thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been having a think about it. Do you think this would work or am I going to be blowing fuses again...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
that will blow fuses i'm afraid. using the switch pictured there are three positions - 1, 2 and 0

on interior lights regardless of switching requirements you will always have a +12v permanent supply to the light (or regulator)

so, you need 12v to the lights +ve terminal

then a wire from the -ve terminal on the light to the centre terminal of the switch,

pin 1 on the switch to the door pin -ve on the interior light (usually brown with white trace)
pin 2 on the switch to the permanent -ve on the interior light (usually solid brown)

this will give the switching as

position 1 - lights work with door
position 0 - lights don't come on at all
position 2 - lights on permanently

sorry i can't draw a diagram and upload it ( i could email you a sketch?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Wonder if you could provide some advice on wiring up the following in my T4 van as i am also no good with electrics ?

I have 4 LED Lights to install and 2 switches.

The intention is to have each switch operating 2 led lights independantly of anything else.

I already have the 12v supplies there from a previous installation but not sure how to wire up the 2 lights and 1 switch ?

The switches i have bought are 2 position but have three connections ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
that will blow fuses i'm afraid. using the switch pictured there are three positions - 1, 2 and 0

on interior lights regardless of switching requirements you will always have a +12v permanent supply to the light (or regulator)

so, you need 12v to the lights +ve terminal

then a wire from the -ve terminal on the light to the centre terminal of the switch,

pin 1 on the switch to the door pin -ve on the interior light (usually brown with white trace)
pin 2 on the switch to the permanent -ve on the interior light (usually solid brown)

this will give the switching as

position 1 - lights work with door
position 0 - lights don't come on at all
position 2 - lights on permanently

sorry i can't draw a diagram and upload it ( i could email you a sketch?)
I've been having a think about it. Do you think this would work or am I going to be blowing fuses again...

Thanks
ive just found this post. I’m trying to do the same on my MK4 caddy. I’ve tried a few ways but it’s not working. Any chance you could do a wiring diagram that shows the correct way to wire with the three way switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts