VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be wiring up my van soon, and have access to an electrician mate ( proper electrician but they have not done a van before though )

If I am looking at this right, if I want an external 240 volt hookup, that's stand alone via an RCD and MCB's and could power a couple of sockets and also gas/electric heaters when running on 240 volts.

The 12 volt side is via a separate circuit, all done to a leisure battery via split charging system. 12 volts can run LED Lighting etc inside the van, and this can still run 240 volt sockets via an inverter ( different sockets from the dedicated 240 volt hookup ones ) the leisure battery also needs a kill switch and should be vented due to hydrogen from the leisure battery?

There is a definite need to keep both circuits completely separate is how I am thinking.

Going to run it it all in plastic conduit to prevent moisture and cable chaffing.

Am I looking at this right, or is there anything I am missing or need to consider,

Cheers

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You are indeed correct. Chat to Upspex on here, he will do you a full kit for both circuits with easy to follow fitting instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I'm going to be wiring up my van soon, and have access to an electrician mate ( proper electrician but they have not done a van before though )

If I am looking at this right, if I want an external 240 volt hookup, that's stand alone via an RCD and MCB's and could power a couple of sockets and also gas/electric heaters when running on 240 volts.

The 12 volt side is via a separate circuit, all done to a leisure battery via split charging system. 12 volts can run LED Lighting etc inside the van, and this can still run 240 volt sockets via an inverter ( different sockets from the dedicated 240 volt hookup ones ) the leisure battery also needs a kill switch and should be vented due to hydrogen from the leisure battery?

There is a definite need to keep both circuits completely separate is how I am thinking.

Going to run it it all in plastic conduit to prevent moisture and cable chaffing.

Am I looking at this right, or is there anything I am missing or need to consider,

Cheers
Why not take out the inverter and fit a three stage charger to charge battery on loom up, inverters are not efficient causing the battery to go flat quickly...

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
My appliances are all 12v running from the leisure battery which is on a split charge relay. I also have mains hookup which only runs a battery charger wired directly to the leisure battery at the moment but I have the option to add some sockets. This way I am not reliant on having hook up and there isn't really anything I need 240v for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, so if I am now thinking correct.....reconsider the inverter idea, fit a three stage charger. Run everything at 12 volts if I don't have a 240 volt to plug into.

What is the three stage charger....and how does it work, does it mean the leisure battery is charged from the van system or 240 supply when you have a 240 hookup.

If I have a 240 to plug into - run any 240 volt stuff at 240 ( if I have any 240 volt gear that is ) and at the same time the 240 v can charge the leisure battery, and everything at 12 volts runs off that battery....is that right?

Thanks again, I am a conversion virgin and want to get it right first time!

:*

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The best example is this diagram by Extremevan, this is how we do ours..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The charger means you can plug into 240v and it will charge your Leisure battery. With the split charge system your alternator will charge both your van and leisure battery when the engine is running, but will isolate the leisure battery when the engine is off. This means that when you are using the leisure battery it won't drain your main van battery.

That means you can plug into 240v, let the charger do its job and run all you need from 12v, and or use an inverter.

I fitted a 240v kit and must admit I've never used it. All I use is 12v. If I do need anything 240 I've got a small inverter. Fit a volt meter to the leisure batt and you can keep an eye on the levels.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My appliances are all 12v running from the leisure battery which is on a split charge relay. I also have mains hookup which only runs a battery charger wired directly to the leisure battery at the moment but I have the option to add some sockets. This way I am not reliant on having hook up and there isn't really anything I need 240v for.
As above!
I have done basically hte same in my dads sailing yacht, I will do the same to my Eriba Faun wich I am rebuilding :)
For those who which to use solar panels or equivalent, they need to separate this through a voltage controller prior to charging the battery/-ies.
Using LED lights will prolong batterylife extensivelyA:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts