VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the anti rollbar bushes as I have a knocking from the front offside. They turned out to be not that bad and the knocking is still there. the drop links are new and the ball joints seem ok. I noticed that the wishbone bush looks to be had it - the one nearest the exhaust. I really need to do this myself due to cost and I'm going to buy a new wishbone with bushes already fitted. I know I can get the other bush bolt out, the ball joint and the drop link. The problem is the bolt on the bad bush does not seem to want to move. I can get the nut off by the exhaust but hammering it with the nut on but loosened did not appear to shift it. I reckon its seized in the bush sleeve. I can cut the wishbone (probably) with my angle grinder but due to the fact that the bush is enclosed, cutting the bolt in situ looks a bit tricky! was thinking a reciprocating saw may do it but more cost and it may not work. Also may try heat and an air hammer it from the exhaust side, but my compressors (2 in parallel) may not have enough umph....has anyone experience of cutting this bush out? big trip to Spain booked in the van so I need to get this done really before I go at minimum cost!

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Yep. Been there got the T shirt. The bush has an aluminium sleeve and it sticks to the steel bolt to make an unbelievably strong bond. I deformed my subframe trying to hammer the bolt out. Someone recommended a steel cutting blade in a jigsaw but that didn't work for me. In the end I used a cutting disc in a 4 1/2 inch grinder. There was just about enough room but I did make a small cut in the crossmember. This was easily welded back up once it was all apart. Don't forget to order new eccentric bolts for when you put it back together

1 - 2 of 2 Posts