VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peepz......

had a (CMC) swivle seat with safe for xmas.....

ive found it wobbling backwards and forwards when pulling away at lights....!!!! which it very distracting.....(and possibly dangerous)

as any one found out how solve this problem???:confused:

thx karl

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hope you have a different one to my mates pair, the bearing inside is made from PLY :eek: with holes drilled and ball bearings slotted in. Both of his are like rocking chairs.

We plan to rip them apart and have the ply replaced with a metal plate, honestly they are a joke and can't believe that people have manufatured them like that.

I will state though that I am not sure of their brand best if you open one of yours up and check as I don't know if all of them are fabricated this way.

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
If its a sport craft one tighten the nut :D

Best swivels around much better than the FASP on my passenger side but it does get the wobbles from time to time, just tighten the nut they go.

The Sportcraft is TUV approved and has no ply in its construction T:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeepers..!!:eek:
gonna have to take my back out and strip down.........

its a shame cause the quility of the safe base is excellent........
then its let down by the swivle section......

i feel like captain pugwash on rough sea`s driving about :D

(thought cmc might have redesigned them?)

thx karl

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Just done a google for ya that base from CMC

http://www.c-m-c.org.uk/t4-swivel-seat-cmc.php

is defo not the sportcraft one T:

So ignore my last, I understand the chap from CMC is called Mike and is a nice sort so give him a bell and find out the details of how to stop the wiggle and if any ply is involved T:

Then please report back as this is not without doubt going to be listed on google with any search for the bases and it would be horrible if anyone thought that ply was involved when its not (or vice versa) T:

·
Registered
401 Posts
i got 2 from cmc one was ok but the other rocked around like crazy when i took it apart to investigate it turned out not to have ANY bearings in it at all :eek: but i called mike and he sorted me out, mine also have wooden plates but there is no need to change them the only purpose in them is to stop the bearings from wandering off if you put metal plates in your adding more weight to your van and it will cause more friction on the seat base which will eventually wear through

·
Registered
231 Posts
i got 2 from cmc one was ok but the other rocked around like crazy when i took it apart to investigate it turned out not to have ANY bearings in it at all :eek: but i called mike and he sorted me out, mine also have wooden plates but there is no need to change them the only purpose in them is to stop the bearings from wandering off if you put metal plates in your adding more weight to your van and it will cause more friction on the seat base which will eventually wear through
What will add more weight, I'm a fat basterd, the van carries me so Im sure the average van can manage a small steel disc lol, what wear would a metal plate cause if laser cut and the bearings set in correctly in nylon cups.

These vans were spec'd to carry a fair old weight I'm more than sure a couple steel discs wont get me into trouble at the weigh bridge :*, we intend to take his to bits in the new year (he's looked at it but I'm yet to see it, once I have we will see if we can replace the bearings, ply and kit it out with some of our own.) after all I work in engineering and if I can't I will know a man that can T:.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm not disputing the fact your a fat basterd LOL: but why add more weight to an already heavy van my full conversion weighs far more than my empty van did.... Metal causes more friction than wood I've been working in engineering companies and now training to be an engineer + if u look at the base youl see all the wear from the wooden disk

My point is its the bolt that's the weak point get that replaced!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not disputing the fact your a fat basterd LOL: but why add more weight to an already heavy van my full conversion weighs far more than my empty van did.... Metal causes more friction than wood I've been working in engineering companies and now training to be an engineer + if u look at the base youl see all the wear from the wooden disk

My point is its the bolt that's the weak point get that replaced!
Ok I'll stand corrected until I split them in the new year, I had better pass this info on then as I would really hate to machine something for my mate that will wear out in no time and make his already heavy van, heavier, seriously mate if that is the only issue I need to overcome in my line of work then I will be one happy man lol.

Best of luck with your Engineering Training Rasp: Used to think the term Engineer = Degree but then again the term Engineer is very widely used nowadays, christ you can even get a Fashion Engineer now. I must be getting old ohhh and fat.:D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
im not fat just long.........
and once i get twanging on that seat im off.......lolLOL:......

when the weather better...ill strip...(the seat)

karl:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Got a safe and a normal swivel base from cmc few weeks back, don't remember seeing any ply, although they do rock a bit. Thought it was down to the seat bases being fitted on top of rubber cab mat and 8mm underlay."..Rasp:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
took mine apart today.....

its a PLY CIRCLE with holes drilled in and ball beerings dropped in the hole......

the fact that its only bolted through the middle means it will always flex,:(

its the metal its bolted through flexing....

the only way round it ,is to chock it at the baCK AND Front :eek:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If its a sport craft one tighten the nut :D

Best swivels around much better than the FASP on my passenger side but it does get the wobbles from time to time, just tighten the nut they go.

The Sportcraft is TUV approved and has no ply in its construction T:
Dude, have you got a link to a site that sells them or do they have a site themselves?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts