VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 1.9td

Yes it's had starting issues before but I always put that down to not having driven far enough on diesel after SVO (straight veg oil) to purge the system - It's been two short trips and 20 miles since the last time it was on veg - anyway it always started with lots of cranking or a bump.

What I've tried so far (apart from pulling off amd checking every wiring connection that could even slightly relevent)

Disconected fuel return line and watched the fuel spill out while I crank = fuel supply ok

Disconected injector 1 watched spirts of fuel come out of the line = not fuel stop solenoid playing up

Disconected the air intake hoses and blew down them = no air supply blockage - even tried with turbo disconected!

Kicked, Swear at it, Hit with large(ish) hammer.

Checked glowpugs are getting 12v - they don't feel at all warm? should they? I am in the french alps and its 20+C outside so I'm guessing glowplugs shouldn't matter.

Battery now flat, waiting for friends to return so I can try jump start or tow to the top of a big hill.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping that prior to checking injector 1 it was a fuel stop solenoid issue and now starting is down to flat(ish) battery and it will just burst into life later?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Glow plugs make a huge difference to starting even in warm climates, get them changed and I'm sure it will start fine again. Presumably you are using a separate heated tank for the veg oil? You could be right about not purging the veg oil through for long enough.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glow plugs make a huge difference to starting even in warm climates, get them changed and I'm sure it will start fine again. Presumably you are using a separate heated tank for the veg oil? You could be right about not purging the veg oil through for long enough.
Yes seprate heated tank and purge circuit (sends the diesel return to the veg tank when switching back to diesel). But this time it's been a long way since it ran out of veg + the injector (at least injector 1 ) lines squirt diesel.

If the glow pulgs are working can you feel any heat by touching (the bit that sticks out of the block for the supply to bolt to) them? Mine are stone cold, but measure 12v (on no 1 wich is the end of the line)?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed, as JJ thought it was the glow plugs. This was confirmed by no starting sitting outside overnight with a temp down to 5 degrees C but after sitting in the sun all day in the mid 20's it started.

But ouch they are expensive in France, cost me 60 Euros at a Careffour supermarket, VW wanted much more. Old ones looked rough to toast, depending on the plug.

As other threads have said its's not a difficult job to do but it's enough of a pig that you don't want to do it twice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts