VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!
I have a 99 T4 1.9d camper which I'm not using a lot at the mo due to the weather. I take it out for a spin every week, but I think the cold has knackered the battery. For the last 2 weeks I have been jump starting it, which works fine just to run her a bit, and normally starts again fine until the next day when it's flat again. I am planning on getting a new battery soon, but when I came to jump start her earlier.... no go! The starter is still trying to turn over very slowly, just like when i'm trying to start off the main battery? I checked the connections, even changed the vehicle I was jumping off, and still nothing! So I looked on the net and found that if the battery has a dead cell, it cannot be jump started. Ahhh.... I thought... hopefully this is the problem. To double check, I decided to try and jump start it again, but isolating the T4's battery, so the other vehicles battery was directly connected. Guess what.... just the same!! It's just like when you are trying to start a vehicle with only 11v of juice. The starter is definitely turning over but not enough for it to fire up!

Any ideas???

Hope someone can help!! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Starter connections corroded. That would be the first place i would check. Remove, clean (to a mirror shine) and re fit all the cables between the battery and starter, and the starter and earth (that means the main engine earth), and check to make sure all of your starter connections are sound.
After that, if the problem persists, i would look to getting a new starter. They do fail, its quite a common problem, and new items are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi. I had starting problems with my 2.4d, simlar to your problem. My main battery had one dead cell, making the starter turn slowly. But even with a new battery the starter turned slowly on the cold starting, but ok when warm. It turned out my starter was dead, but after 13 years and 250.000 miles not surprising really.

As already metioned starting problems could also be bad wiring, or rusty connections.

John.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts