VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go, been meaning to start this thread for a while now as i slowly start to begin my build, and after a day of beginning my insulation it feels like the right time.

so here is my starting point, bought just under a year ago, a few weeks after my daughter was born, in a cloud of tiredness and rash judgement. almost certainly paid over the odds and it definately has more miles on it than i would have liked (230,000 at time of purchase), but it was clean, almost completely rust free, not white, lwb barn door with a slinding window already fitted and LEZ compliant so all my boxes ticked.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so first things first i set about the VW T4 owners modding kit 101.

new stereo, clear front indicators, tinted rear clusters, blackout rear windows and new rear badge as it was missing one

before (bonnets open a little as was having a tinker):

after:

much nicer i'm sure some will agree.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
next stage was to remove the rear seats and rear bulkhead as these arent really needed and i'm fitting either a bed or bongo seats eventually so they needed to go.

seats out and gone to a new home

rear bulkhead

all removed (you can see the bongo seats on their end in the van, whilst i decide if their fit for purpose...still deciding a year later)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next up but without photo's was the installation of an intercooler from german ebay to my ajt engine and egr blanking. not sure if its made a huge difference but what the hey, it's easy to do and the german intercooler was fairly cheap. if i ever put some of rake's pp2 injectors in, or just get a remap i'm sure i'll feel it then but i'm never going to light the tarmac up in 2 and bit ton of van.

what i would say is during fitting the intercooler i butchered my old air intake pipe to steal the sensor for the cooler so i cant go back now anyway...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some rather basic photoshopping,

always wanted to put a strip of wood down the side of my old peugeots but never got round to it, (would have looked sweet on my 405 tooI:) so tried seeing what the van would look like with some wood and painted alloys.

not so sure if it's the route i want to go down, want some side graphics on it but might concoct something a little more unique.

i have been thinking about an american shagwagon style route, chunky wheels, an a pillar mounted spot light (like a US police car) and chromed doka wing mirrors with a chrome grill and chrome wrapped projeckt zwo's.... might be a bit out there. back to photoshop......

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after this first burst of activity the van has been my work wagon for the last year and has only really had maintenance work done, and many speakers fitted in an effort in make the music a bit clearer (could still do with a sub but money ran out)

new discs and pads all round,
full service,
aero wipers,
found and fitted a pollen filter housing and filter
new 4" speakers in the dash,
5.25" componants fitted into the centre pod and tweeters mounted high on the a pillar
and some 6x9's mounted into boxes fixed high on the walls in the rear.

also bought a central locking kit but that install is taking me ages as i am to wiring what kittens are to wool... trying to be neat and concise but still can't get my head round it. try again soon....

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so todays progress, insulated one side of the van. only had a few hours so did what i could in the time....and rain.

was glad to see the the van was in good order behind the panel i had off. needed a good clean but polished up nicely and no nasty surprises.

started with flashing on the big open spaces, to quell the drumming, then i added a layer of 10mm class o sound foam covering as much as i could in all the nooks and crannies. then used recycled bottle wool over the top of that, and silver bubble over that.

simples.

on the bottom sections though, i decided to go a little off piste.... got two free sheets of 25mm celotex from work, so thought i'd add a layer of that too..... so ended up with, flashing, class o foam, bottle wool, and then celotex.... had to cram it in under the window, probaly a bit too tight and was a bit tricky to fit it all in, i wont do that on the other side, but the back sections worked well and will hopefully add a little extra warmth.

ignore the mess on the left...... anyway all sorted and sure feels more solid. cut a new ply sheet to go over the top after tracing the old mucky one, but that will need some snagging as it's not sitting right at the minute but time ran out and that was the end of play.

back in london next week and will have access to a workshop again so will do the rest of the insulating and pull up/replace the floor before i carpet and fit a temporary bed to as i'm going live in the van monday to thursday whilst i'm away on work.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right so after much delay and not updating it's time for some badly orientated photos!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First up, i finished flash banding, soundproofing (10mm class 0 fire retardent) and insulating (bottle wool and silver bubble) did all the sides, the roof was flashed and soundproofed but no bottle wool, just lined with silver bubble. then the obligatory carpet over the metal work and panels. loved this bit, really easy and very satisfying. still got to do round the b pillars but another time.

Then the floor came up was cleaned to within an inch of its life and a couple of small spot of rust around the old seat holes ground off and red oxide treated, and 4 new holes drilled for mushrooms bolts for my newly bought rear double to fit. Also i fitted the belt for the double on the c pillar. last up i fitted some black studded vinyl i had left over from work until i get round to some proper altro. due to the lack of a rear kick plate i overlapped the flooring and refiited the old short trim in the middle. looks smart for a temp solution.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beds!

Just wanted a simple solution, and wanted as wide as possible, so i decided on a simple pull out tessellating build.

And as i'm a multi tasker i got one of my minions at work to cut and sand all the lengths it for me whilst i was working inside Rasp:

I helped.... it was 50/50 carpenting, promise, i wouldn't be any fun if someone else did all the workT:.

Decided that as i need to still fit my tools in the van i made sure we built it at a height that my cases fit underneath, and made the whole thing half the width of the van so i can extend the width as far as possible. This does mean it's probably slightly higher than most but this van needs to still work and play so it's best of both.

(built the bed before the van was carpeted... but this shows how my kit can fit under it) it also means if i ever have to leave anything in the van which is incredibly rare but sometime neccesary it's hidden out of view. Before i just had to chuck a blanket over my gear. now its all neat and tidy and hidden.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Foam cut haggled and bought from shepherd's bush market, 4" thick blue upholstery type. wrapped in cream fabric by my other half's kind mother.

it was meant to sit as a sofa when not a bed. short bit vertical and wide bit flat, but because of my poorly considered speaker boxes and the bed being a little higher than normal it wont fit! D'oh!!!:bhd

the speakers are only in position temporarily as i plan to make nicer boxes that mount the higher up so that problem will resolve itself when i pull my finger out....

You can see my rear window covers here as well, 25mm celotex, cut so it jams in the window, black fabric on the outside, carpet/fabric on the inside so it stops people being able to look in when i have gear in there and acts as black out/thermal insulation when camping. I leave them in all the time as i just use my wing mirrors to see behind anyway so it's no bother.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stumbled across this thread

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=234978

and decided it was genius! so after too many beers and access to ebay i ended up with a full Q7 leather/alcantara interior :eek:

luckily i got the lot for not much, managed to sell the front s line seats to a nice chap on here for his T5. i was very temped to fit them in mine but i think they were just too wide.

so yesterday i set about making the middle row of the set fit in the front of my van...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

the drivers side is easy. 2 50mm wide 4mm thick plates mounted to the original base, with holes drilled to accept the seat's lugs and holes to bolt the lot together

i wanted to try and not modify the audi seats at all to fit them, but i had to saw off one button weld to allow for a mounting bolt

whilst i was a bit annoyed i couldn't find a way around this mod, it is the strongest place for the fixing to be.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i put a high tensile bolt in each corner and used stainless washers and nyloc nuts. had to trim the washers slightly to fit in the runners

but then it was all good.

one seat down one to go...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
first off i stripped the seat off the base leaving me with this

i needed it to have a flat top to be able to mount the audi's double section so got the grinder out again...

no going back now!

and made up plates to reinforce the base out of 50x4mm strips again, and more to fit the runners to, this is them getting a lick of paint along with the drivers side strips

then it was all mounted up, the passenger side went on without any mods, i used all the audi's lugs and original mounting points to ensure its as strong as possible. and added some extra steel to the base for piece of mind. there'd be more pictures of the base before adding the passenger side but it was getting dark and i was rushing to complete. I even had to assemble before the paint had properly dried!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the finished article

they all recline, fold flat, i now have an arms rest, AND CUP HOLDERS!

they are slightly higher then the old seats which i may look at in time, but they are far more comfortable than the 240k builders bum seats that were in before. and they look lovely too. make the cabin look much nicer.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now i have to fit the twin rear seats so it all matches

these split fold and have almost identical action to the vw double i already have so i thought it would be easy to marry the mushroom bolt base to the new top

so i stripped the double to have a measure and line things up.

had to grind down an allen key to remove all the bolts

and then the base was off

comparing to the audi base

the audi has it's mounting points on the backrest at the sides, where the strength and folding mechanism is all contained, so the vw base needs an extra frame adding to marry the two together as strongly as possible, also because the base of the audi seat is both thinner an not structural, it will need raising and reinforcing, or at least an extra platform to rest on. so i'll need t have a think about this.

finally whilst the two seats are almost identical widths and have the potential to fit together really well, i lost nerve at cutting up my double until i had a hard and fast plan of how to fit them together exactly. Going to look for a cheap, bad condition double to strip and cut up as mine is too good to chop up for experimentation.... more to come when i find a suitable donor!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts