VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just getting to the stage where I am in need of a short length (80cm) of formica worksurface to finish my kitchen cabinet, anyone got any good suggestions where I can get one cheap (ish) Has anyone managed to scrounge offcuts from magnet or other big kitchen fitters? ;-)

Also the standard kitchen surfaces weigh a Tonne, is there a "low weight" alternative!

Suggestions welcome :)

Ta!

Ben

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ikea may be of use, or check the small ads, I found someone selling a bit of kitchen worktop they had left over on a site called gumtree i think, as i was cutting a hole for a sink and hob in it there wasn't going to be much of it left so wasn't too fussed about the weight

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
used cheap stuff from B and Q, its about 20mm thick and I got a damaged length ..only needed bit in the middle.:ILU:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
just remember when buying the cheap worktops to get some waterproof pva and cover the back as you will find cheap ones are not coverd at the back as aposed to the more expensive ones do around all the cut outs and back for sake of £1 aint worth not doing it imo

just saves it blowing if water touches it or have little spill

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, all gd replies :) just been down to mfi given the current news but they are only selling display items as complete kitchens :-(

advice about the PVA sealant much appreciated, wouldnt have done that otherwise (and probably will buying the budget stuff!)

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Ikea do some rather nice ones if you hunt the store. I got my rather natty (but heavy) length from the wharehouse bit where they had a few bargains to tempt you as you leave...

Stupid thing was I didnt go in my van so it was a tight fit in the Clio!

I'm hoping to lighten it with routing and also figure my Smev will get the weight down as its a big cutout. I just rather liked the look of it and as its not a laminate it wont chip as easily. Was under £20 but is listed at £60.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
stridy your going to have a job on making that butchers block lighter to be fair , and not a great deal heavier than 38mm duropal or axiom .

imo i would not be using it in a van , its real wood vans get hot and cold all the time inside so you will probaly get a lot of movment in the timber , the amount of times i have had loads of wet towls covering them is quite a few especialy oak worktop .

·
Registered
102 Posts

got mine from Wickes in Taunton but they do mail order.

1m long 27mm thick so smaller than standard kitchen stuff. came in grey or black. £20 bargin!!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Got mine (textured black granite effect) for £20 from B&Q Warehouse, go to the section where they cut things for you and they'll happily sell any offcuts they may have. I got almost a metre for £20 when the worktop should have been £120 for a 3m length.

Alternatively call kitchen / bathroom fitters in your area - they'll be sure to have loads of offcuts....

·
Registered
534 Posts
It depends on where you live but in Coventry the best place for this stuff is our local independent hardware store Shephards. Bear in mind that B&Q only cut in their Warehouse stores but off cuts can be bargainous if they're not too dinged. In the thinner kitchen worktops I think B&Q and Wickes both do two colours, white or pale grey. I must have chose from over 20 at Shephards, plus they cut and you pay in half lengths. Mine cost about £17 I think.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Blagged mine for nothing from a local bathroom fitter, bathroom worktops tend to be narrower and thinner section than kitchen, I got a 1,5m x 350mm offcut in a black granite effect laminate.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What's a worksurface doing in a van - they belong in kitchens?

Why try to make a van look like a cheap kitchen? :*

Nice light bit of ply is all you need, not some great hefty lump of chipboard, maybe a stainless insert for cutting on/hot pans or a wooden chopping board tucked in a cupboard out of sight?

It much nicer to prep food/cook outside anyway....

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
What's a worksurface doing in a van - they belong in kitchens?

Why try to make a van look like a cheap kitchen? :*

Nice light bit of ply is all you need, not some great hefty lump of chipboard, maybe a stainless insert for cutting on/hot pans or a wooden chopping board tucked in a cupboard out of sight?

It much nicer to prep food/cook outside anyway....
Solid oak is very expensive I'll have you know!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts