VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the worst fuel you have been able to use in a computer run VW Diesel engine,
used fish shop oil ? crappy Algerian desert home made fuel ? In a situation like in the
middle of Africa, small village no fuel station ? Have you made your own ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not a T5 but a T4 5 pot TDI, so computer run. I ran veg oil form all manner of sources. I did have a 2 tank system with a coolant/fuel heater. Had issues with water content and black sludge, both solved by 5% petrol. I also ran what turned out to be a mix of heating fuel and used engine oil, that clogs your fuel filters quick......about 2 per tank! Never did any engine damage but destroyed one fuel pump and loads of fuel filters - Filer your fuel to 1 micron if it dosen't come from a reputable supplier.

As for T5 I've run the 1.9 on home made bio, not sure of the source of the origional oil but the friend making it was running far more delicate machinery on it that my Van.

From building systems for other (non VW) vehicles, it is possible to build a 2 tank system to safely run veg on a common rail system, but you are looking at a few £1000 to build the system. Only worth it if huge milage and reliable cheap (or free) oil is availabe. Otherwise making bio is the way to go, it ain't hard but it is messy and time consuming.

As for runnig a T5 or later on veg or other unprepared fuel, I would say on tank of fuel will do enough damage to need a rebuild of your injection system!

·
Registered
794 Posts
In my LDV Pilot I ran almost all cooking oil when it was £14 for 20l and diesel was £1.20+, also tried my old chip oils filtered once through a kitchen roll sheet. It never missed a beat in seven years until a hose split and I warped the head. It did smell of a chip shop when stuck in traffic though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've used Morrisons and Asda for about 90% of my fill ups over the last 22 years and never had any issues to be honest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
But there aren't any issues with how the van (or bike) are running.
I just buy the cheapest fuel around here now, usually asda, and all is well.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I have ran all of my diesels on supermarket fuel plus Millers Oils diesel additive been very happy no issues,at one point i was also adding a little 2 stroke oil to the tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts