VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find an affordable solution to sorting out the screw holes in the floor of the rear of my van. Some have gone rusty, some not so bad.

Someone said to weld them but I've been quoted silly money to do it.

Would drilling out the holes and grinding back to bare metal, then treating with a rust converter, then filling holes with j-b cold weld then silkaflexing both sides of holes do the trick?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I know its a PIA , but if you plan to cover the floor with something that is not likely to be accessible , there is no substitute for welded patches .....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers G&G

Yeah, I heed your advice. I know that's gonna be the best option and will prob be worth the extra cash for the peace of mind in the long run.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It depends how bad they are and how long you are going to keep the van for.

I have some rusty screw holes in the floor of my van, but they are the size screw holes - it would take a LONG time for them to rust out to become actual holes, so I just rubbed them down, painted them with some Krust and slapped some paint over them. Sure the rust WILL come back, but by the time it does I will either have the time/money/inclination to fix it properly, or I will have bought a different van. Im all about spending the time & money enjoying the van, at the beach, off riding, away with the lads or the missus, whatever, Ive spent a LOT of time and money building cars in the past, and the key thing is to maximise the fun!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Welding schmelding! Filled lots of holes without welding with no problems - vans come from the factory with rubber grommets and sealer over holes so to say that there is no substitute for welding isn't accurate. A good rub down, rust treatment and good quality primer will take care of any potential corrosion issues then aslong as you seal it properly and paint some underseal on there are loads of options. Rubber grommet, nut and bolt with large washer or metal plate, bond a plate on, fibreglass filler (dent the hole first to give the filler some depth).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had good results just grinding back to shiny stuff with angle grinder and wire cup brush in my drill ,then two thick coats of Kurust then fibreglass bridger (the easy way to apply this over a small hole is mix it then spread it on a square of carrier bag a bit bigger than the hole ,plonk it on the hole like a plaster then ten mins, later peel it off leaving a smooth finish ,it will also follow the corrugations of the floor.) then paint it.

this stuff looks good though -

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=991971

·
Registered
221 Posts
Trying to find an affordable solution to sorting out the screw holes in the floor of the rear of my van. Some have gone rusty, some not so bad.

Would drilling out the holes and grinding back to bare metal, then treating with a rust converter, then filling holes with j-b cold weld then silkaflexing both sides of holes do the trick?
tbh out of those 2, welding is the cheapest option. clean back rust, blat some weld in, paint it. you could try your local vw club and see if anyone will weld the holes up for beer money?

or you could clean them up and leave them as has been suggested. i have about 10 screw holes in my van floor and i've never seen water come up through them. (i am going to weld them though.)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Geeeeeees you have rust?

SELL IT QUICK!LOL:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Clean then silicon them up, put some heavy grease on the underside. put light oil them from the inside and smear the grease on again from above. If you weld small holes it will cause damage to paint in the surrounding area, you'll end up with having to treat a larger area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks very much for all thge replies guys,

good range of options which have helped me make my mind up. Having now ground the worst of them back to bare metal and drilled out the holes I think i can get away with painting some rust converter in and around the holes then just siliconing them up and undersealing the outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts