VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi pretty new to all this guys got a set of 19" range rover alloys would you recommend this or any other options or ideas much appreciated.
Thanks. Dean

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi Dean, Yes I would recommend lowering springs but only if you want to drop it say -30 to -40mm. Any lower you'd be better off going with coilovers. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dont go to low mate as the roads are in such poor condition you will damage your rims and your back!!

Had mine droped on 18" 70mm and it was so uncomfortable had to wind the front up and get 40mm springs for the rear

·
Registered
301 Posts
hi there, I too run mine on 19" RR wheels, and have just fitted a set of oe vw sportline springs, (approx -35mm) ride is still comfy and bus sits a little lower, and looks much nicer IMHO. I do like low buses but where we live and the fact I carry my race bike in it sometimes means I have to remain half sensible, am pleased with end result...T:

·
Registered
123 Posts
ill go with that..had a H&R coilovers on for 4 months, LOOKED GREAT but must be getting old ...just taken them off and fitted springs to standard shocks.!! lovely! FOR SALE nearly new H&R coilovers. please read instructions when fitting !I:

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
"Would you recommend lowering springs"......................NO,unless you like your ride harsh and bouncy with very little damping

coilovers are the only way to lower a van, i've tryed the spring thing,H&R -40's and merseyspeed -60's hated um,

on CMC coilovers and 19" rangerover alloy with 255/40 tyres.........rides like a dream T:,just needs cleaning :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's not strictly true Gary. I've fitted -30 Eibachs and it's neither harsh or bouncy. OK, it's not uber cool low like yours but it's enough for me and many of us don't want to go that low, as bad ass as it is. I would however get Coilovers if I were to go any lower. ;) :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 275/40/20 rr wheels and thinking of getting lowering springs, maybe 35/40mm, does anybody have the same set up? They rub very slightly on full lock at the moment which i can live with. Will lowering make it any worse? :*

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
but you dont have to all the way down with them,you can drop a van 40mm with coilovers and have a much better ride T:
Devildriver i realise not everyones as silly as me and makes a work van super impractical :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
but you dont have to all the way down with them,you can drop a van 40mm with coilovers and have a much better ride T:
Devildriver i realise not everyones as silly as me and makes a work van super impractical :D

The other point is that you can get a set of Eibach springs and have them fitted for the price of a set of quality coilovers, which for me means I can buy two tyres for my alloys. I WILL get those suckers on there soon, standard wheels are over rated :(

Fu King cool work van though mate T:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes I would definatley recommend lowering, I have always lowered my cars with full suspension 1 for looks 2 for handling.
I have recently received my T32 kombi 180 after 10 months waiting but had to return it for certain reasons, However, they (VW garage) lent me a sportline for 10 days (mine has had sportline suspension fitted) and it handles perfect. I has to return it as they have sold it and they have given me a T30 180 I am soo pleased mine has been lowered as on the same roads it just bouces around (and this is at 70mph) and not planted as the sportline, Can't wait until I get my van back should be just over a week now.
Not only does it look better IMO it inspires convidence so a more relaxing and fun drive!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have Eibach -30 mm springs with 19" RR Sport Alloys. I find the van handles better, especially cornering, where it doesn't roll as much.

I have noticed very little different in ride quality but am convinced (and so is the mechanic who fitted them) that the road noise is louder!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have Eibach -30 mm springs with 19" RR Sport Alloys. I find the van handles better, especially cornering, where it doesn't roll as much.

I have noticed very little different in ride quality but am convinced (and so is the mechanic who fitted them) that the road noise is louder!
I find the current van i'm in with 17" wheels is alot noiser than the 18" on the sportline i suppose this is down to different tyre manufactures.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would advise weather fitting just springs is a good idea all depends on the shock the springs are going on??

I would say if you have an "older" van which has done say around 100k then fitting springs isn't gonna work because the shocks are already knackered!! then the lowering spring's finnish them off completely as you will all know if the shocks don't absorb the springs will let it bounce!!

BUT on a fresh low miles van with good shockers lowering springs work a treat all the way down to -60mm

·
Registered
16 Posts
ill go with that..had a H&R coilovers on for 4 months, LOOKED GREAT but must be getting old ...just taken them off and fitted springs to standard shocks.!! lovely! FOR SALE nearly new H&R coilovers. please read instructions when fitting !I:
how much for coilovers and would they fit my t30? thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts