VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently bought what I believe to be a 2006 2.5L diesel SWB... it came with absolutely no paperwork! :D

I'm totally inept when it comes to vans/cars, but with the help of you guys here on the forum I'm learning slowly. The sticker in the drivers foot well tells me that the engine is an "AXD".

I've never changed the oil in anything before but thought it would be a good start as I've no idea when it was last done.

Did all the pre-checks I could and was sure I had the correct replacement filter, but guess what...

Am I missing something here or is it possible that the whole oil filter unit was replaced at some point? Does this look like the one I actually need?

Cheers guys! :ILU:

·
Special Rapporteur
9,098 Posts
If you phone a VW commercial dealer or TPS and give them the vehicle's VIN they will tell you the correct part number for the filter, as fitted from the factory.

As to whether someone might have changed the filter housing - I guess anything is possible, but it seems unlikely.

Don't rule out the possibility that the filter that's in there at the moment is actually the wrong part...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it did occur to me that the one currently in there is incorrect!

I tried for a while and the new one definitely wouldn't fit.

My plan is to eventually get it fully checked out by a VW garage but I can't afford it for a few months so am trying to look after it as best I can until then.

You're right though I should probably give the local dealer a call.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's the right filter mate, it's just you've left part of the old one in the filter housing. The long bit comes off inside so you have to remove it with long nose pliers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You certain aye? I did think that as well, but the long 'neck' on the new filter is totally fixed to the plastic, so no way it can be removed.

The other filter just possibly a different brand/style where the neck is removable?

How does the oil even circulate through the filter (ie. where does the oil flow in, and where does it flow out), it's really not obvious to me :confused:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Trust me, I've been working on vdubs for 25 years. The old filter is properly a genuine one and it does come off, the new one looks aftermarket so would be fixed. Also watch that the 1.9 oilfilter and the 2.5 oil filter are different part numbers. Not everyone knows that in the parts world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic, cheers pal! I'll get the oil changed again in a week or so and put the expensive stuff in this time.

Hope I can pay the help forward some time... If anyone needs an explanation of how to turn the key in the ignition you know where to find me :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts