VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to turn my key this morning and absolutely nothing happened, I was a bit shocked as it has started every time at the turn.

I filled the back last night with quite a lot of hedge trimmings and parked up in front of the house, worked fine then. I left the windows open slightly for any condensation build up, there was still a bit on the windows! could the damp got to anything?

Any thoughts on what I should look for first? Radio still fired up fine! Starter motor? Didn't have time to look and I could borrow the missus car to get to work.

Any ideas greatly received T:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
First...Clean the contacts of the wires connected to the starter.
Is it clicking when you turn the key?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't hear any clicks, but literally only tried a couple of times as was in a rush this morning.

Will have a bit of time this evening to have a closer look. Cheers T:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Possible drained the battery. Interior light or side lights left on? Should not be a problem but if you have an old battery sometimes a small drain is enough to take below the required level.

But you would still get a click when you turn the key.

Hope it is not a costly problem.

David T:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possible drained the battery. Interior light or side lights left on? Should not be a problem but if you have an old battery sometimes a small drain is enough to take below the required level.

But you would still get a click when you turn the key.

Hope it is not a costly problem.

David T:
Don't think the battery is dead, Radio fired up straight away and all the dash lights worked. Waited for the coil sign to go off and nothing. Can't rule it out though, can always try the jump leads!

Cheers T:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If not the battery it could be the ignition switch, give the keys a wiggle when trying to start. Have you got a bunch of keys with the ignition key?
Or the starter motor?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I have got a large bunch of keys. Does the weight bugger it up after a while?

Will give it a little wiggle when I turn it over later T:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Def sounds like the ignition switch. They are about £8 and easy to do. Give the wires going into it a wiggle as you turn the key. There's a how to on here somewhere, it says you need an offset screwdriver to get it out but I just use a normal one.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sticking starter or bad conection on the starter will give you the same problem as you have got. Dont be surprised if it starts first turn of the key.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Exact thing happens with mine occasionally.
I clean the insudes of the battery leads terminal and the terminal posts with emery and it is ok after that.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have read on here that a bunch of keys will wear the switch contacts faster. I just have my ignition key on its own, but use a carabiner to hook them to my other keys when i get out of the van.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
give the starter a whack with a bar,mine started to stick occasionaly when i first got van?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Seems to be the ignition switch, I pushed the key upwards as I turned it on and started first time. Will order a new one and reduce the bunch of keys hanging from the van key.

Forum to the rescue again T:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tps is this best place for something like this i think for a couple of pounds more.
I got a cam belt kit and an oil filter all in for £27 from them.
Same as relays for the couple of quid more.
Never thought i would be buying from the main dealers. Never have before with any of my other cars.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i once had a big bunch of keys hanging from my ignition barrel, every time i went over a bump or pothole my van would cut out from the weight of the keys it would slightly turn the key back and cut out engine. now my van key is on its own keyring, and its never happened since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had exactly the same problem with mine recently, but if I wiggle the connector and thin wires that go to the top of the starter motor it starts ? I'm concerned now as I also don't get a click, it's just totally dead when I turn the key (it's only an occasional problem). It can't just be good luck that it starts after moving the connector and really it's the ignition switch can it? I'm about to try and clean up the connections on this little connector this morning, but am I wasting my time? What is this wire anyway?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts