VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this spray to clean egr and air intake system. I was going to give it a go as my inlet manifold
Has quite a lot of soot on it but don,t fancy taking it off to clean it out. Just wondered
if anyone had tried it and is there any risks involved when using it?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's just my personal opinion, but I would NOT risk trying to clean out your egr valve and inlet manifold in situ. There's plenty of gunk in there and spraying cleaner everywhere is just going to make it disappear down into the cylinders, potentially causing you more problems/damage to engine/big repair bill.

The EGR valve is easy enough to remove and clean away from the engine, then blank it off when re-fitting so it won't clog up again.

If you want to clean the inlet manifold properly, it will have to come off. Quite a fiddly and time consuming job unfortunately.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my main concern that the gunk in the manifold would go in the engine. Maybe I will take the manifold off and clean it when I have time. Any tips on removing manifold?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Once you've removed the stupid erg valve removing the manifold is easy enough, you'l see exactly what your up to without the egr piping in the way. I really wouldn't put it back on though. It's just there to clog your engine full of e. Horrible things. It shouldn't take more than an hour to whip it off and blank it. I did mine a week or two ago and for the time it took I don't know why I put it off for so long!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That was my main concern that the gunk in the manifold would go in the engine. Maybe I will take the manifold off and clean it when I have time. Any tips on removing manifold?
1/4 drive socket set with a flexi head ratchet is useful, plus a mirror on a stick. Some of the bolts are a very tricky to get on to.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Once you've removed the stupid erg valve removing the manifold is easy enough!
I think you're getting the inlet manifold confused with rocker cover mate. The bolts for the inlet manifold are down the back of the engine by the exhaust manifold.

Removing it is a fiddly, time consuming job. You'll need the patience of a saint!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts