VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally starting my build over Christmas and am planning everything out at the moment. I have an Xtremevan split charging kit with switches and could do with some feedback from other happy customers (of which i'm sure there are many, judging by service and build quality :D)

How have you all mounted the main box? There are no lugs on it anywhere to aid wall mounting. I'm planning on fitting it onto my units behind the drivers seat. I can't go much further back because the leisure battery is under the bonnet next to the main battery.

What have you got wired up to the switched fuses? I was hoping to stick the fridge on one as the van is a daily driver but won't need the fridge going all the time. Unfortunately these switches only seem to be suitable for 1 amp fuses and my understanding is the Waeco CR50 i'm fitting needs a 10 amp fuse. I'll probably stick the tap on one but not sure what else could be fitted.

I'm not having a 240v hook-up for the foreseeable future, instead i've got a 100w solar panel and control box. Can this run through the control box or have I got to wire this directly to the leisure battery?

If anyones got photos of an install that would be really helpful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've had one fitted for the past 2 years and it's a great bit of kit. Have all the info you need but I'm off to bed after a 12hr shift.
PM me tomorrow if I forget to reply.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Don't wire your fridge through it!!!! Connect the fridge direct to the battery and use the internal switch to control it. As your battery is under the bonnet you will need to use 10 mm cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dbvwt! I look forward to it.

Upspex, why shouldn't I put the fridge through the fuse box? It has fuses up to 25 amps and an isolator switch. Most wiring diagrams i've seen show the fridge going through a control box of some description coming off the leisure battery.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Compressor fridges are very sensitive to voltage drop. Every switch, every fuse, every connector will drop you some voltage. You don't need a switch, you already have one in the temp control. This is one of the disadvantages of having your leisure battery under the bonnet.....it's a long way from your fridge. Read instructions supplied with fridge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First of all I'm no electrician . From memory I fused the whale , 12v sockets ,maplin leds with regulator and ,fridge (no switch) thro the black box ,with regards to fixing it ,it just sits on the van floor wedged tight to the battery. My battery charger is held in place using Velcro .i have a portable 80w solar panel which I just crocodile clip on the battery when I'm off hook up .

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
hey chap, i know its a little late, but its fine to wire into the plug on the black box, dont use pos 1 or 2 as these have 12v regulators built in and only suitable for LED type lighting, you can use any of the others as the 16mm cable that runs to the battery will be able to take the voltage drop and will be more than enough to cope with the fridge and anything else you wish to run.

The whole idea of the built in fuse box is to take care of anything 12v that you want to run from it, keep the fridge lead as short as possible, but by the sounds of it, you are putting it right next to the black box, so no issues

many thanks

jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts