VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been a forum lurker for 's while now and after much research and advice decided to go for the XTRONS PF73MTV radio for our T5.1. All great until we were driving a 300ml trip when the electric light came on followed by the engine and now filter light and finally kicked into safe mode... our mechanic can't see any faults coming up and after a through check knows it's the radio, we cut a red acc wire that XTRONS recommended we cut from the radio to canbus but still have the lights...have we completely messed the ecu up? The company are happy to take it back but is there a actually any cheap aftermarket option? Someone said it's beause it came with dual Cambus?.... any opinions glady welcomed other than "you should have got a kenwood" :bhd

·
Special Rapporteur
9,903 Posts
I'd suggest you try another mechanic. I've never heard of a situation where an aftermarket radio causes engine management lights to come on.

There is a known problem with aftermarket radio wiring (it's actually the adapter wiring loom, not the radio itself) stopping you from accessing the ECU via the OBD diagnostic port to read error codes. But that should not cause fault lights to come on, and it can be overcome simply by removing the radio and any associated wiring adapter.

The CANbus connection is almost certainly irrelevant - the radio should be connected to a different part of the CANbus network, so it cannot affect the vehicle's ECU via that connection.

If the filter fault light has come on then there is almost certainly a fault associated with the DPF, and this needs to be tracked down and fixed ASAP or there is a risk of permanent damage to the DPF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Traffic, this is a mechanic I have used for years and trust implicitly. Also, the error codes which come up on his diagnostic's do not relate to the vehicle hence why he thinks it's confused. For example, an error code came up telling him there was a problem with the tow bar....problem is there is no tow bar nor has it every had one! He also unplugged/took off various things and the error code that came up did not relate at all to what he had done. He has suggested himself to go to VW to get the ECU recoded.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,903 Posts
You may trust him implicitly, but if he is suggesting that an aftermarket radio is causing the ECU to generate spurious unrelated error codes, he is obviously out of his depth. It sounds suspiciously like he may be using a generic diagnostic tool, rather than one designed specifically for VAG vehicles.

Whatever, you need to find the underlying cause of the warning lights on the dash, rather than trying to change the radio for a different one. To be clear, there is no realistic way that your Xtrons headunit - or any other headunit for that matter - could lead to the ECU needing to be recoded by VW.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
IF he suspected the stereo then he should have disconnected it, that would have verified things and at worst left you no stereo but a working van.

Aftermarket stuff can sometimes mess with the canbus signalling but thats about it.

If he really thinks its canbus related he should have had a proper fault can done.

You can scan it yourself with the free version of VCDS and a £10 clone lead off ebay which is a legitimate combination. (I think) Not sure if the T5.1 needs the full VCDs or if the free version still supports it.

http://www.ross-tech.com/Search-Results.html?q=transporter

Actually sorry looks like you need the full official version.

Presumeably the xtrons came with a quadlock adapter and its corresponding canbus decoder.

Not sure on the T5.1 but on the T5 theyre no real use (canbus adapter), they cant understand the canbus properly, but all that means is the stereo gets no canbus info from the van.

I also presume youve contacted xtrons support? What did they say?

Ive put hui fei type android units in a B6 passat and my 57 plate T5 before, and the xtrons should, if you bought the right one, be the same basic hardware as the ones I used and other such brands.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

IF your unit has android 4.4 its an MTCB unit, if it has android 5, its an MTCD unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mindriot, xtrons have a forum which they use to contact and their administrator says to simply cut a red wire to the canbus, it appears there has been lots of issues with the same kind of thing like air "bag lights" related to the problem but cutting of the wire sorted it out for other's...the mechanic we used did run a "full" check with software and owns a T5 himself but was baffled by it...we have since removed the stereo and fitted the original but the lights of doom are still there!
Here's what xtrons say...
Hi,
please re-plug the CANbus and ISO wire, please first cut off the ACC wire that originally connect to the car stereo, if the problem still exist, take out the key and open the door and close as some car stereos needs to detect the CANbus using this action.

if the problem still not solved, then cut off the ACC wire for CANbus and tape it with the insulating tape, connect it to the original ACC wire. Pictures provided below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ja2htq2us2obm5/PF9BMTVA.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2db0ofa8w81izz7/PF9BMTVA 2.png?dl=0

for the wrong door displayed, please go to application - set up - general - factory set - 3368 (password) -ok to choose the correct door.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
If there was a fault with the radio interfering with the vehicle it would have showed up straight away, not 300miles down the road....

Post up the picture of the xtrons plug and the vehicles plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...just drove to bug jam 140 miles there and back and both electric and dpf lights have disappeared! Engine still on though.:*

·
Registered
319 Posts
If your convinced it's the strip remove it and scan with vcds,

I know certain radios can interfere with fault code readers doing a complete scan as the mk4 golf and audio tt''s are the same.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
It's when the radio has a feed going up the K-line on Mk4 golfs etc, normally the remote feed from the aftermarket radio

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All lights off and for not apparent reason! Stereo going back tomorrow and who knows if that'll be the end of it but my advice... don't get the Xtrons PF73MTV if you are tempted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All lights off and for not apparent reason! Stereo going back tomorrow and who knows if that'll be the end of it but my advice... don't get the Xtrons PF73MTV if you are tempted!
Now you can buy one from Absolut5 and fit it with no problems
That would be great but from the sounds of it was a head scratcher even to the experts so I don't know what to try next having already dished out a wod I'm not so sure it won't happen again....it's been fine since! ?

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
That would be great but from the sounds of it was a head scratcher even to the experts so I don't know what to try next having already dished out a wod I'm not so sure it won't happen again....it's been fine since! ?
We have worked on around 500 T5s and supplied even more headunits and interfaces around the country and never had a issue with fitting headunits with the correct parts, the problems people experience is down to faulty or incorrect interfaces... Sometimes even manufactures incorrectly pin the plugs wrong, rare but does happen

Reactions: Papamoomin

·
Registered
66 Posts
In all seriousness, could this stereo have caused the issues?

The reason I ask is because I was planning on buying the same one!!

:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts