VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Caravelle yesterday with the intention to have it ready for a jaunt round France in June/July in camper form.
Its just been serviced incl having the waterpump and cambelt done.

So... first on the list... out with the interior :

Plan is to keep this seat here:

This is as far as I got today :

Next up... flashing, bubble wrap + plastic bottle insulation.

Is there any reason to hang on to any of the interior panels I've removed? Will be carpeting + ply boarding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were right ;-) Advertised it yesterday, have had a call from someone building a crewcab today!
To those that have PM'd me about bits and pieces, if this falls through (I'll know on Friday), I'll split them and sell seperately, thanks.
Just have the rear blower setup left.

Couple of questions... my heater doesn't seem to blow heat even when engine is warmed up, is this most likely a "broken cable at the back of the dial" thing?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Couple of questions... my heater doesn't seem to blow heat even when engine is warmed up, is this most likely a "broken cable at the back of the dial" thing?
If you mean the heaters on the dash, Im pretty sure on all models the centre ones are fresh air only so are always cold.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I figured that (same in the Merc's we've had), but its the side + windscreen vents that are blowing cold also.
thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
done myself sound proofing, insulation, front cab refurb... will post up some piccies soon A:

next steps is floor, carpeting....

then poptop+electrics+furniture, but this won't be carried out by myself but by professionals :)

yo :ILU:

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Left all my panels in when converting my Caravelle..thought it was basis for better finish, but each to their ownI:...T:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I did think about leaving them in but they seemed to take up too much space so am going the ply board route.
Any pics of yours with the panels still in?

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Yep, I did think about leaving them in but they seemed to take up too much space so am going the ply board route.
Any pics of yours with the panels still in?
Photos....

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Attached them to the strengthners put in by Stew at Westdubs..most of the side furniture is attached to the side panels that i had left in, as they are surprisingly strong...glad you like it, but must re-cover the seats/3/4 bed as I only used some curtains I had at the time..always ongoing:(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Discovered yesterday eve that the reason the heater wasn't working was a broken heater switch (rotary type), so I've pulled the valve lever manually under the bonnet to leave it on full, I was frozen in it yesterday.

Started on the panel insulation today

Layer of flashing tape, layer of foil covered bubble wrap, layer of insulation and a layer of bubble wrap again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also ordered super incredible megatastic carpet lining from MVM last night.
Will continue the insulation tonight and go look at flooring tomorrow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love this layout (With the low rear units instead of a full cupboard) It isn't the best use of space, but it makes the van feel loads more light and airy. I have the same in mine and was toying with taking the two rear units out and replacing with a full cupboard. After seeing this I'm not going to!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got some more done this eve, flashing on the wheel arches and more insulating. Just the sliding door and rear hatch door to do.

So, I took out the rear blower motor, what have others done with the two vent tubes and the large vent behind the window?
I've stuffed it with rags for the moment until I figure out what to do with it.

Also managed to blow a fuse... the back of the side interior light hit off the body work... * spark * * SNAP * A::D

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Got some more done this eve, flashing on the wheel arches and more insulating. Just the sliding door and rear hatch door to do.
So, I took out the rear blower motor, what have others done with the two vent tubes and the large vent behind the window?
I've stuffed it with rags for the moment until I figure out what to do with it.

Also managed to blow a fuse... the back of the side interior light hit off the body work... * spark * * SNAP * A::D
You could remove the vent and glass complete and replace it with a new bonded in section of glassT:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm... would prefer not to remove it. Would a bit of marine ply painted black and mounted using the original screw holes be ok?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts