VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
thanks guys T: really glad to be finally getting somewhere with it.

It was 60mm drop when on the steels, that picture at tidy t's was before units and a bed went in the back, but had the 4 alloys in there so a bit of weight. Side on picture at the start of the thread was completely empty, the day I got it back from springs being fitted, so without any weight in the back, it would probably sit somewhere between those two. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just a quick update following on from the weekend, first up always found the bed a bit awkward to lift back up and the mrs couldnt do it on her own which would cause problems if she ever uses it without me.

Bought a couple of pulls from ebay meant for bootlids etc and fitted one to the side of the bed;

Then set about changing the rear gearbox mount to try and cure the jerking / knocking when pulling away and changing gear. all jacked up, engine cover off only to find i've been supplied the wrong part. never mind, replacements ordered and should be fitted at the weekend.

Less than 2 weeks now till we head up to scotland for 10 days, only things left to do are gearbox mount, oil change, cab curtain and a wash A:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
OK, so last day i'm going to have working on the van before heading off next friday to scotland.

First job, drop the newly painted vw badge back into the grill. Will be selling the debadged I had fitted before as i think this looks a lot better. more in with my theme i'll be trying to keep.

Next up was to finish what I started last weekend, and that was changing the rear gearbox mount. new part was delivered mid week, and was the right one this time so set about swapping them over.

Old one (notice the worn rubber bush - plenty of space all the way round the bush in the centre)

New one - much better

Bolts and swapping it over was all pretty easy, except for trying to squeeze it in and out between the gearbox and the subframe. took me an age. was like a puzzleLOL:

After that while it was up in the air with the belly pan off, I did and oil change. not quite as quickly as i'd hoped (stubborn filter) but still fairly quick and straight forward. Going to try and do one of these pretty frequently now to keep it running sweet. so smooth on the drive home from my parents.

tried to work out the last time i gave the van a wash and hoover, and honestly cant remember so gave it one today to celebrate pretty much finishing phase 1 of the build. (phase 1 was getting inside done to the stage it is now, and the outside looking acceptable - mopped, wheels, lowered, windows etc. phase 2 details to follow....)

Took a few more pictures of the inside now its all nice and clean

And thats about it. Still need to fit the cab curtain, but will do that during the week. all in all over the moon with how well its come out considering i've never done anything like this before. few little bits i'll redo, and no doubt a pro could have done it better, but i've saved myself some money, i've got it how i want it and massive sense of satisfaction for me and the old man. I've also just worked out its pretty much a year exactly, since i picked it up.

Roll on friday and the chance to enjoy it.....:ILU:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Yeh I am, just not had chance to get ad sorted. Can send you some pics when I'm back if your interested? It's pretty much as new.

Slight delay in leaving yesterday, van loaded up, first £100 tank of fuel I've ever paid for and check tyre pressures and the n/s rear had a massive bulge in the side wall. Think all the weight I've put in to go away with was too much for them. There only a 91 l/r which up until conversions been finished has been completely fine. Messed about for a bit; debated going anyway but with the chance of covering nearly 2k miles over the next week and a bit, had to get something changed. So called in last thing last night at a tyre place I use, picked up 4 94 rated tyres in same size (ideally wanted to go higher but that'd mean a different tyre size) which gives me an extra 55kgs per wheel so that should be enough for what's in the van. So that, on top of a broken door handle and rear wiper that wouldn't switch off, made us abandon yesterday's departure and go today instead.

anyway, alarms just gone off big drive ahead, nice and cool at the minute compared to yesterday's sweat fest so fingers crossed there'll be no more problems....

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Soooo the long planned scotland trip.

Had this on the cards since last year, wanted to get the van to a finished (phase 1 ish) state before we tackled it due to planning to wild camp for the majority and need space, organisation and supplies.

Plan was 10days, leave on the friday and come back on the monday a week and a bit later, manic week at work trying to get everything done before i left ensued, meaning final prep on the van had to wait until the thursday night /friday morning before we left. not ideal, but all I had.

Got the van all packed on the friday morning, filled up the tank (first time spending £100 on fuel:() checked the fresh oil was still ok, stick some 2 stroke in the tank, and check the tyre pressures. here's where the problems started.....

for some reason the forecourt air lines by me seem to be consistantly broken. same again this time with the pressure taking an age to get anywhere near what I needed, gave up initially and left to try and find another garage. unfortunatly some air must have been taken from one of the rears which left it soft, not great when your running a low load rated tyre and the vans heavier than a planet. sure enough by the time i got to another garage, there was a massive bulge in the left rear sidewall. pulled up mrs went to get out and broke the door handle so couldnt open the door. massively frustrated by this point, need to be on the road, glasgow by this evening and problems already. after messing about trying to decide whether to risk it, swap back to the original steels (unbalanced) or try and pick up one new tyre and hope the others will be fine with proper pressures in them, decided to go and find 4 new, higher rated tyres and get them fitted ready to leave tommorrow. rear wiper then decided to stick on, whilst on route to the garage so that just topped it off.

Anyway, left on the saturday morning at 5, nice cool traffic free drive up there and got to loch lomond just after 2 i think, van drove perfectly the whole way and for the entire trip to be honest. 1600 miles, £220 worth of fuel and saw most of the west side of scotland, ben nevis, loch lomond, loch ness, glen coe and 3 days on skye. 3 nights out of the 10 were in campsites to get a shower and top up the water tank, the rest wild camped on some of the most amazing spots i've ever been. well worth a trip up there if anyone gets the chance.

I've picked a few of our pictures, out of the 500 or so we actually took - none of which actually capture how good the trip was for us. Van as I said was perfect, few little changes i'll make over the next few weeks all of which i'll post up about on hereT:

In no real order....

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Heading up to my parents place tommorrow mate to get some pictures of it T: Was hoping to of got round there before now, but things have been a bit manic.

Well worth the trip up as you can see, could always tie it in with a visit somewhere else on the way, or stop some where half way for a couple of nights. it took me about 6 hours from Bristol. shame it's not closer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Heading up to my parents place tommorrow mate to get some pictures of it T: Was hoping to of got round there before now, but things have been a bit manic.

Well worth the trip up as you can see, could always tie it in with a visit somewhere else on the way, or stop some where half way for a couple of nights. it took me about 6 hours from Bristol. shame it's not closer.
Ideal, give me a pm of how much you want for it mate, I can PayPal you :ILU:

·
Registered
85 Posts
what great pics A:, van looks spot on T:, been thinking about the same sort of trip, really makes me want to go. Come the other way this time to devon, south coast then to france for this trip.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Bit of a list of job's to try and get done tommorrow if the weathers ok;

* Remove the centre section of headlining ready to redo with new ply. Used the original boards when I did it, and this one's really sagged in the middle for some reason. so cutting a new section from ply, and a covering in something a little different.

*hoover out all the / dead midgeys / grass from the trip

*fit boost gauge / hazard switch

*wash

*attempt to sort out the bumpers with heat gun (there in dire need!!)

*b pillar vinyls

Then hopefully get a chance to run down to Volksfest on sunday if I get time and there isnt a monsoon:ILU:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
what great pics A:, van looks spot on T:, been thinking about the same sort of trip, really makes me want to go. Come the other way this time to devon, south coast then to france for this trip.
Thanks alot T:

It was a long way, but well worth it. I've done most of the south coast and devon, plenty of pretty awesome places down that way aswell. next one were trying to plan is norway..... not sure what or how yet, but thats the plan.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
So, didnt get everything done I wanted but did get a few bits done.

Managed to drop the centre headlining board back down, ready to redo. Going to use ply this time, and cover in something slightly different to lighten up the inside a bit. Will pick up a sheet of ply this week and get that started.

Then decided I'd get the boost guage started, so dismantled the dash, ready to swap the hazard switch;

then ground of the peg on the back of the new passat switch;

and plugged everything back in and what do you know, no smoke and all working perfectly.

Next I ran the pipe for the boost guage through the bulkhead, connecting up to the nipple on inlet manifold and cable tied it all nice and tidy ;

Decided before I cut into the dash i'd make sure it all worked as it should, so took it for a test drive and was boosting at 9psi

So moved onto the fueling. Decided i'd best just remove the fuel mixture screw to give me enough access and space to remove the anti tamper collar that was on there, so popped the grill and lower panel off to give me a bit more space and found this monster stuffed into the bottom of therad;

huge. no idea what it was, but was about 4/5cm long. so I left him there.....

screw out, collar off and back in, adjust the fuel until i get a bit of black smoke off turbo, and move onto the actuator arm, fiddley as hell when the turbo's still hot, plenty of adjusting, trial run, more adjusting later and its now running a relatively safe 12psi. may tweek a bit more yet, i'll see how it goes but its much much better to drive now. really noticeable difference mid range, and easier to get up to speed which is exactly what I was after. Will have to wait to finish off the final mounting of the gauge as I've misplaced my hole cutting drill bits so need to pick up a set tommorrow.

After this, and a bit of fannying about, I decided to give the b pillar vinyls another go. this was now my 3rd attempt, decided to just take my time, and it was still a bit of a faff getting it round the window seals on the sliding door / side panels.Anyway, there on and i'm pretty happy. not perfect, but will do for me and my OCD. T:

Last job, was making sure the 5m aux input cable I ordered works as I'd hoped and it does. Now means I can run my laptop in the back of the van, watching movies through the vans stereo, and using it as a bit of a media centre until I get my hands on a raspberry PI and work out what I'm going to do with that.

21 - 40 of 138 Posts