VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Radio - adapt to go on with OR without key

21K views 216 replies 51 participants last post by  Hoovie 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't you get annoyed when you are parked up and enjoying a wee cuppa (or glass :D) of something when sitting outside or maybe in the back and want to listen to the radio BUT ... you have to leave the keys in the ignition for the radio to work :(

So maybe you try and mess around with the wiring to bypass the ignition so you don't need the key to have the radio on, BUT THEN you have to manually turn the radio on and off when jumping in to go out for a drive and then park to go for a wander :(

Well, what you need is the RADIO "AUDIO ON" SELECTOR SWITCHA: A:
image_20 by Hoovie, on Flickr
This is £12 including postage costs to anywhere in the UK

I made this initially for my own use, but thought others in the VW world may have a similar use for them. These are made in the UK obviously, by myself, a qualified Electrical & Electronic and Computer Engineer.

This switch allows you to control whether your radio comes on with the igntion like VW supplied it, or bypasses the ignition so you can enjoy your sounds without having to leave the key in the lock, which keeps your van far more secure of course T: The switch also allows you to have the radio off entirely (which could be very handy if needing to depart a campsite early doors or late at night and you usually like to pump up the volume (saves that sudden blast of music waking up your neighbours :D )

The kit comes with wiring, switch and instructions on how to connect up your head unit to the selector switch
An aftermarket head unit such as an Alpine or Pioneer for example (ones where the units loom come with bullet connectors for power and ignition lines) require no tools to install.
Original units can still be connected by splitting the power and ignition wires in the radio loom and fitting bullet connectors (supplied with kit) to the lines to replicate an aftermarket wiring style. This allows you to easily put back the wiring exactly as original if moving the Audio On Selector Switch to another vehicle.

This is what you get for your money ...
image_19 by Hoovie, on Flickr

The only thing you need to add is a dash switchplate with a 19mm dia centre hole to mount the switch on. I can provide these on request for both T4 and T5 vans but due to the cost of these blanks from VW and postage costs (a switch blank is classed as a "small parcel"!), the cost of these are £7.99 each on top of the switch kit.

This is a switch kit fitted to my 2000 T4, connected into an Alpine Head Unit
Picture TBA (Photobucket holding users to ransom meant pics no longer available!)

And on my 2008 T5. In this case, wired up to a Pioneer unit
Picture TBA (Photobucket holding users to ransom meant pics no longer available!)

Note: This kit is not for use with an original fitment VW unit that is controlled by Canbus, so later T5s, T5.1/GP or T6 models. If these will be fitted with Aftermarket Units, then the Drive/Camping Selector Kit will work fine

LATEST ADDITION!!
COMPLETE plug and plug toolless kit to install any aftermarket head unit into a T5 with Quadlock connectors!
image_26 by Hoovie, on Flickr
This new kit is £37.50 and includes:
The Selector Switch Set, PLUS an ISO to QUADLOCK adapter ready to accept the switch set, PLUS piggyback fuseholder and fuse to eliminate the need to deal with the complexity of the Canbus T:
This image shows where the piggyback fuse is installed ...
image_27 by Hoovie, on Flickr
Simply remove the mini blade fuse from position 19 (middle run of fuses on the upper half, and fuse 19 is the 4th fuse position from the right); then fit that fuse in the piggyback holder in the lower position; fit the 2nd (provided) fuse in the upper position; fit the piggy back fuse holder in position 19 and connect up the red flying lead to the bullet connector and you will have an key controlled ignition power line to use instead of the canbus wires :)
And there's more .... This kit also includes an amplified Fakra to DIN aerial adapter, the VW Headunit extraction keys to allow easy removal of the headunit, plus a switch mounting plate for the dash.
This kit will mean there will be nothing else in terms of parts or tools you will need to change your T5 from a standard VW fitted radio to an aftermaket unit using industry standard ISO and DIN fittings and have that unit powered on whichever way you like T:
No electrical experience is needed to install this and full instructions are provided.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

So to recap:
£12.00 for the Drive/Camping Selector Switch Set, suitable for adding to an existing T4/T5/T6 aftermarket Radio installation
£17.99 for the Drive/Camping Selector Switch: the standard switch set PLUS ISO-ISO Adapter with pluggable power and ignition wires (Ideal for T4 New Install)
£29.99 for T5/T5.1/GP installation set: Includes Drive/Camping Selector Switch; Quadlock-ISO adapter; Piggyback Fused Ignition Supply & Lead; Power Boosted Aerial Lead.
£37.50 for COMPLETE T5 installation set: Includes Drive/Camping Selector Switch; Quadlock-ISO adapter; Piggyback Fused Ignition Supply & Lead; Power Boosted Aerial Lead; 4 x Radio Extraction Keys; Switch Mounting Plate.

Also due to popular demand, I now have an ready to fit Leisure Battery extension lead available...
£5.00: Leisure Battery Extension lead: With 5M of 21A /1.5mm cable, pre-prepared to fit into the +12V input on the Selector Switch kit, 10A Blade Fuse and with a spade connector to fit to a fuse box distribution terminal point

All prices include free postage anywhere within the UK, including Islands and Highlands :)
PLEASE NOTE. For more expensive items (typically over £30 or so), I reserve the right to add the cost of sending via a recorded/signed for service for extra protection and compensation. This will add £1 to UK prices and an additional £5.00 for International orders.

And finally, if you want the "Full Monty" of Install Kits for your T5.1 - so:
  • The Drive/Camping Kit with 3-Way switch,
  • The Quadlock-to-ISO Adapter Kit,
  • The FAKRA-to-DIN Aerial Adapter,
  • The Piggyback fuse holder for the Ignition Supply,
  • The 5M Leisure Battery extension lead (plus Blade Fuse) to avoid draining your starter battery,
  • The Switch Mounting Plate,
  • PLUS a Trim Facia so your new Double-Din Head Unit blends in with your lovely curved T5.1 dashboard
The whole kit is yours for a bargain price of £54.99 including P&P Recorded Post to anywhere in the UK (To Europe, the cost will be 59.99)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

If the preset 5M Leisure Battery extension is not long enough, I can also supply any length of suitable cable prepared ready for use with the Selector kit - Just ask T:

Payment via Paypal.
Switches will be sent out within 2 working days of payment (live in the sticks so can't always get to a post office easily)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Don't you get annoyed when you are parked up and enjoying a wee cuppa (or glass :D) of something when sitting outside or maybe in the back and want to listen to the radio BUT ... you have to leave the keys in the ignition for the radio to work :(

So maybe you try and mess around with the wiring to bypass the ignition so you don't need the key to have the radio on, BUT THEN you have to manually turn the radio on and off when jumping in to go out for a drive and then park to go for a wander :(

Well, what you need is the RADIO "AUDIO ON" SELECTOR SWITCHA: A:

This is £9.99 including postage costs to anywhere in the UK

I made this initially for my own use, but thought others in the VW world may have a similar use for them. These are made in the UK obviously, by myself, a qualified Electrical & Electronic and Computer Engineer.

This switch allows you to control whether your radio comes on with the igntion like VW supplied it, or bypasses the ignition so you can enjoy your sounds without having to leave the key in the lock, which keeps your van far more secure of course T: The switch also allows you to have the radio off entirely (which could be very handy if needing to depart a campsite early doors or late at night and you usually like to pump up the volume (saves that sudden blast of music waking up your neighbours :D )

The kit comes with wiring, switch and instructions on how to connect up your head unit to the selector switch
An aftermarket head unit such as an Alpine or Pioneer for example (ones where the units loom come with bullet connectors for power and ignition lines) require no tools to install.
Original units can still be connected by splitting the power and ignition wires in the radio loom and fitting bullet connectors (supplied with kit) to the lines to replicate an aftermarket wiring style. This allows you to easily put back the wiring exactly as original if moving the Audio On Selector Switch to another vehicle.

This is what you get for your money ...

The only thing you need to add is a dash switchplate with a 19mm dia centre hole to mount the switch on. I can provide these on request for both T4 and T5 vans but due to the cost of these blanks from VW and postage costs (a switch blank is classed as a "small parcel"!), the cost of these are £7.50 each on top of the switch kit.

This is a switch kit fitted to my 2000 T4, connected into an Alpine Head Unit

And on my 2008 T5. In this case, wired up to a Pioneer unit

So to recap:
£9.99 for the Selector Switch Set including FREE Postage within UK
£17.49 for the Selector Switch Set PLUS Dash Mount Plate for either T4 or T5 (please specify which one you require) including Postage within UK.
Payment via Paypal.
Switches will be sent out within 2 working days of payment (live in the sticks so can't always get to a post office easily)
Hi I will take one pm me the PayPal details , with t4 dash mount plate if its predrilled

Thanks

Tom

#7 ·
Hi Ben,
Am I right in thinking the Facelift T5 has a very slightly different dash plate? I have the T5 blanks ready but need to double-check if the T5.1 Facelift does vary.
I'll PM you the paypal info and will update the switch plate situation once I get a call back from my VW Dealer (still waiting on him since mid-morning :( )

Cheers
David.

#8 ·
As I thought, the T5 and T5.1 plates are slightly different and not interchangable.

Right now I am waiting on new T4 plates and T5.1 plates to arrive, but DO have T5 (2003-2009) plates ready to go T:
And of course, got the switch and wiring sets are ready to ship if you want to adapt your own dash plates.

#9 ·
Just ordered one, cheers in advance.

For what it's worth, I think you could charge a couple of £ more for that mate, if Autoleads made it it would cost £30. With that in mind, just paid you a couple of £ more cos I think it's justified, especially as postage is thrown in.

Cheers,

#11 ·
Thanks Ben. In the post T:

Wish I had seen this before you came up last week mate!
I will have one for my bus please? PM me details for payment.
Hi John. i've got your address already so will post one out to you now. I'll PM you my paypal address when I am back from the post office T:

#15 ·
I suppose there may be something about a standard VW radio that they have done, but I am not aware of that. I wonder if anyone knows?
I have only ever come across car ICE that have an input that "enables" it with a +12V signal (traditionally provided by turning of the ignition key of course).
On my T5, I have an error in VCDS saying "no radio comms" or similar, but that is nothing to do with the switch, it is having replaced the original radio with a Pioneer unit. Certainly makes no difference to anything.

#24 ·
Great with Leisure battery as well :)

All you would do is instead of plugging the yellow wire into the radio looms permanent +12v signal, is connect that line into a suitably fused 12v wire from the Leisure battery.
You get the best of both worlds then ... Position 1 and you have the auto-on with ignition for day-to-day driving convenience. And in position 2, running solely off the Leisure Battery for when parked up and chilling T:
This is how I had it setup on my T4, and once I add the secondary battery on the T5, will be two-minute job to swap the power source :D

#27 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys T:

All orders sent out. And New Delivery of T4 switch plates just arrived.
Still waiting on T5.1 plates, but T5 plates ready and the sets on their own availble of course :)

One thing worth mentioning for T5 owners who may not have taken out a switch blank before on this particular vehicle .... The plate is handed and there is a small tab/protrusion on one side.
This goes to the centre of each of the pairs of blanks - so if the left one of the pair of switches, it is to the right, and if fitting on the right of the pair, it is to the left.
It is exactly the same plate, you just turn it round 180 degrees - if unused, essy to do, but if adapted for a switch (any switch! :) ) check which way round you need the plate before pushing it home and save yourself a few moments of headscratching :confused: :D

#31 · (Edited)
I have added an additional tool-free option for T4 Drivers who are running with the Original radios, or their aftermarket units don't have pluggable +12V and IGNITION wires T:

This is a full READY-TO-FIT Set, requiring no tools other then whatever you need to remove the radio from the dash Y:

You get the same set of specially configured wiring, plus an ISO-ISO adapter with pluggable +12V and IGNITION wires, which you fit in-between the existing ISO Plug & Socket, letting you connect in the switch wires, even with an original fit radio A:
Audio%20Switch%20-%20T4Set-Full by Hoovie, on Flickr

And on the dash, you pop out one of the blanks, and fit this special brand-new switch-mount plate instead. This uses a rectangular switch, which looks very OEM on the original dash plate for that "keep it original" appearance.
Audio%20Switch%20-%20T4Set-SwitchSquare by Hoovie, on Flickr

Cost of this set, with the rectangular switch, prepared mounting plate, all wiring and ISO-ISO adapter is just £19.99 including postage within UK!
Delivery of these takes a few days as the square plates are quite tricky to make ;)

#34 ·
Hi will this system work on a T5.1 2011 model with the standard rcd310 VW stereo.? There is no switch live to the unit as the canbus system sends the signal not an actual switch live. There is 2 permanent live feeds to the radio already. I want to be able to run the head unit off my leisure battery when parked up but also allow it to operate as normal when the key is in the ignition.