VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Well that's it I'm calling it done. The sun is shining and we are off on a week long shakedown run to the West Country on Friday. The only outstanding thing is the custom shower tray that should be with us in a couple of weeks.

Not only is it now a Motor Caravan its also up-plated to 3900kg so plenty left in the MGW for us, the dog, food and wine. No problem for us old geezers with C1 licenses.

One small problem to be sorted is the Votronic panel that drastically under reports in/out temperature. They want it back to investigate but I mean - its a camper van and the leisure systems need the panel for switching. We are thinking now about doing the Rhine and Mosel after Le Mans so we can call in and have them look at it. Its years since we were there and it should be nice in June, anyhow we've done Brittany so many times we can surely miss a year.

So now you can follow our travels at vanwolf.blog, on Facebook @VWVanWolf or Instagram @van.wolf

Anyone going to BusFest well see you there we will be in the T Forum camping area from Friday lunch time.

Meanwhile enjoy the summer - we will T:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Looks good A: A:
And even more wine as your road tax will have dropped lots as well T:
Well worth the £180 to John Ruffles

And your blog, https://vanwolf.blog/ is definitely worth a look. Had not seen that before. Great read.
Thx, hope We can keep it interesting.

That looks really good T: you had to get it up rated! so how much does it weigh?
It went 3280 a week or so ago so I am expecting close to 3350. I have worked on an assumed 2250 from new but now I suspect it was closet to 2400 - should have weighed it to start with. I guess travelling weight adds c.400kg and as the sum of both axles is 3900 so it makes. In a couple of weeks time with the shower tray installed I will get all up and rear axle wet rates then we will know exactly where we are.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,007 Posts
Not really relevant to your van, but I had my van weighed in its basic motorhome setup and came in at 2950Kg - so represents the ULW. Got a ticket from the weighbridge showing this as it is a critical number (under 3050kg ULW in a Motor Caravan means you can travel at car speeds). Useful to have this info :) and is a shame you didn't check the weight at the earlier stage as the ULW is not recorded anywhere.

Took my van to a weighbridge yesterday and with everything in it, two people, half water tank and near empty fuel tank, I was at 4000kg (extra weight was more furniture, more solar and 1,000Ah more batteries). And managed to do an emergency stop from 40MPH to zero in 36 Metres!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, I will have to get mine weighed when we are finished, I was hoping to come in under 3000 kg all up, was the 3280 with two people on board? Do you have to get a tacho fitted for that weight?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
Not really relevant to your van, but I had my van weighed in its basic motorhome setup and came in at 2950Kg - so represents the ULW. Got a ticket from the weighbridge showing this as it is a critical number (under 3050kg ULW in a Motor Caravan means you can travel at car speeds). Useful to have this info :) and is a shame you didn't check the weight at the earlier stage as the ULW is not recorded anywhere.

Took my van to a weighbridge yesterday and with everything in it, two people, half water tank and near empty fuel tank, I was at 4000kg (extra weight was more furniture, more solar and 1,000Ah more batteries). And managed to do an emergency stop from 40MPH to zero in 36 Metres!
Yes, I suppose it’s a discussion about how much can be taken out to get back to 3050kg batteries, panels, seat bed, fridge, hob etc are simple bolt ons whereas the insulation, panelling and furniture are screwed and glued. What is your MGW?

Wow, I will have to get mine weighed when we are finished, I was hoping to come in under 3000 kg all up, was the 3280 with two people on board? Do you have to get a tacho fitted for that weight?
No, just half tanks of fuel and water so 80kg and I know how much we weigh - too much again I:

Brochure weight for a LWB is between 2060 & 2460kg depending on spec. While I assumed midway I now realise that was wrong. There was not too much else I could have added and the tow bar istself must be 50kg :eek: the only compensation was taking out the bulkhead at say 25kg.

The other thing to beware of is axle weight, mine is 1800/2100 and most of my weight is between mid axles to the rear axle. Something I will check in a couple of weeks once we have finished the shower tray.

No you don’t need a tacho. There are a whole list of exceptions including non commercial use which includes Motor Caravans. Makes me smile though - without the exceptions your Roller would look neat with a tacho in the middle of the walnut LOL:

DVSA are into pulling Mohos right now. Last year they found 80% were overweight. SVTech did their own survey at shows and found 50% overweight. Mainly because they are designed with very little spare weight and folk load them up without realising and oblivious to the consequence.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We were pulled up in France a few years ago in the Land Rover, just in a lay by at the side of a main road, they weighed each axle and compare to the registration document, we were well under but there were others who seemed to be over not sure what the penalty is .

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Sitting hear on a peaceful campsite I realise what is needed - a means of overriding the head unit auto off function.

It lasts however long and the shuts off but, and here is the strange thing, I open a door and the radio comes back on presumably triggered by the courtesy light switch LOL:

I don’t need to power it from the leisure batteries as the starter is also charged from the solar. And we don’t use the head unit for sounds all the time - that’s taken care of by an Ultimate Ears Megaboom.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Looks like the same occurs with the interior/courtesy lights. They won’t work after the same period of time. Do is it an actual timer module or VCDS module setting? In which case where in the VCDS?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Seems the head unit on/off delay is managed in the VCDS. Getting this looked into in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great thread and website, well done!

I'm just speccing a new Volkswagen Crafter CR35 MWB 140PS Trendline Business Van Auto

Options I would like:

• Adaptive cruise control (£1,062)
  • Rear view camera (£270)
  • Rear wing doors with windows (£168)
  • Delete bulkhead (£0)
  • Comfort+ single drivers seat w/ lumbar support and arm rests (£96)
  • Comfort+ single passenger seat (-£84)
  • Swivel seats (driver is £234 and passenger only £18)
There is an option of "side window - sliding in passenger compartment front passenger side" - do you know if this means the sliding door?

I plan to put solar on the roof eventually and saw you guys discussing roof rails, it seems cheaper to buy them later and get exactly what I want?

For reference these are the Trendline/Business options:

Trendline options:
* 'Composition Media' 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
* DAB radio and App Connect
* 'Comfort' driver's seat with two-way lumbar adjustment and armrest
* Cruise control with speed limiter
* Multi-function steering wheel
* Load area grab handles
* Wooden load floor
* 270-degree rear door opening
Business pack options:

* Air-conditioning
* Front and rear parking sensors
* Overhead storage in the cab
* Alarm

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's quite a lot cheaper to spec the roof rail option from the factory, I made the rails for mine but seem to remember Van Blanc saying they were nearly twice as much to buy after market, it's only the rails that run down the length of the van that you need to spec from new the cross bars to suit the solar you can get from anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think it's quite a lot cheaper to spec the roof rail option from the factory, I made the rails for mine but seem to remember Van Blanc saying they were nearly twice as much to buy after market, it's only the rails that run down the length of the van that you need to spec from new the cross bars to suit the solar you can get from anywhere.
Thanks - yes I read the same, but when I looked at the option "Roof Rails" it is £250+VAT. I can't actually see these online now I am looking again.

If I went for something like a Rhino roof rack: https://www.rhinoroofracks.com/volkswagen/crafter-roof-racks/new-crafter-2017-on/mwb-high-roof/rhino-aluminium-roof-rack-volkwagen-crafter-2017-onwards-lwb-high-roof.html

I don't think this would need the rails at all, just the mounting points that I presume come as standard?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Thanks - yes I read the same, but when I looked at the option "Roof Rails" it is £250+VAT. I can't actually see these online now I am looking again.

If I went for something like a Rhino roof rack: https://www.rhinoroofracks.com/volkswagen/crafter-roof-racks/new-crafter-2017-on/mwb-high-roof/rhino-aluminium-roof-rack-volkwagen-crafter-2017-onwards-lwb-high-roof.html

I don't think this would need the rails at all, just the mounting points that I presume come as standard?[/QUOT]

If you want to mount a Fiamma F65 type roof mount awning you need either the VW rails or specific Fiamma gutter brackets. Just fiting a Rhino rack to the roof won't do it. You could however fit a Rhino rack and hang any old awning off it.

The "mounting points" are just holes in the gutter.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts