VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: New Crafter Insulation

Final interior layout has yet to be decided, but there will be a full shower, and compost toilet.

Specs of our Crafter are 2.0TDi Diesel, Manual, 136hp, no windows at all right now, but plan on two flares with narrow window in each. Currently there's a twin front passenger seat, this will be removed =for a single on swivel, my drivers seat has the air ride, and no swivel available for these type seats as far as I can tell.
Snap.

Ours is LWB 140 Auto Irridium Grey Trendline +++. I spec'd single comfort+ seats (not swivels because you loose the bulkhead and then they force rear door windows if you want an alarm). Have ordered Aguti swivels, the only ones so far OK'd with new Crafter, same as Westfalia use for both seats and will remove the bulkhead.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Yeah sorry, LWB 170. I've already removed the bulk head, and the rear smaller part of the floor, its been a nightmare, as the previous single owner from new Sikaflex the floor panels down, so been having to use some wooden wedges, and a big hammer, then when raised enough, using a long blade saw, cut away the bonding.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Snap.

Ours is LWB 140 Auto Irridium Grey Trendline +++. I spec'd single comfort+ seats (not swivels because you loose the bulkhead and then they force rear door windows if you want an alarm). Have ordered Aguti swivels, the only ones so far OK'd with new Crafter, same as Westfalia use for both seats and will remove the bulkhead.
Got a link to those Augti seat swivels?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
64 Posts
You do realise that a 4Motion has a 100mm higher floor so before conversion is only 1800mm head room?

We were going to but honestly would rather have space that rarely used 4WD. After all that was the purpose of going Big Van.
2 Dealers, The Brochure & VW CS claim you only loose the 100mm on RWD CR50.

Everyone is telling me that 4Motion does not decrease interior height.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
2 Dealers, The Brochure & VW CS claim you only loose the 100mm on RWD CR50.

Everyone is telling me that 4Motion does not decrease interior height.
The 4M I saw in Norway had a higher floor, the June brochure says it has and my dealer confirmed it.

This is clip from page of June 2018 Brochure, detail is missing from August 2018 Brochure.

Just found page 27 of August brochure also says 1961 is FWD height.

And pages 13 & 16 refers to lower 100mm step except for AWD and RWD.

I was told that it was required to accommodate a taller chassis, i.e. running gear and rear axle in both AWD and RWD.

Honestly don't trust the dealers or VW CS. This is my 3rd van from them and they know nothing. I got told all sorts of stories about what options were and weren't available but we just ordered them anyway and they are on the build.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,085 Posts
I see talk of roof fans ....
I strongly suggest you both look at the MaxxAir Fans in preference to Fantastic Vent Fans or Heiki Vents. They are considerably more expensive but worth it.
Put it this way ... if you watch various videos on Youtube from self-converters, you see plenty of people regretting their fantastic fan installs, but only when they have found the MaxxAir Fan. I've never seen a Maxxair buyer wishing they bought a different unit.

I've got the Maxxair Deluxe with Remote Control and 10-speed options (both in AND out) and it is one of the best purchases I have made for my conversion despite the cost (UK Supplier here - http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/rooflights-vents/maxxair-maxxfan-deluxe-roof-vent-fan-with-remote-control.html)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I see talk of roof fans ....
I strongly suggest you both look at the MaxxAir Fans in preference to Fantastic Vent Fans or Heiki Vents. They are considerably more expensive but worth it.
Put it this way ... if you watch various videos on Youtube from self-converters, you see plenty of people regretting their fantastic fan installs, but only when they have found the MaxxAir Fan. I've never seen a Maxxair buyer wishing they bought a different unit.

I've got the Maxxair Deluxe with Remote Control and 10-speed options (both in AND out) and it is one of the best purchases I have made for my conversion despite the cost (UK Supplier here - http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/rooflights-vents/maxxair-maxxfan-deluxe-roof-vent-fan-with-remote-control.html)
I'm going for a simple roof light, Midi Heiki, over the kitchen area for daylight light as much as anything else and a simple extractor over the toilet / shower.

·
Registered
88 Posts

UK distributer is https://leisurevehicleservices.co.uk/aguti/

The manufacturers is https://www.aguti.com/unternehmen.html

The swivels are new so not in the shops yet and can't see them on their web sites but have seen them in a Westfalia and ordered a par from LVS

Not cheap at c.£250 at !!
Thanks mate, not too bad a price if they would work with the air ride seat, I have only found one person who has managed this, ie, fitting a swivel plate on the air suspension seat, but it raised the seat height by almost 4" which is way too high.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Thanks mate, not too bad a price if they would work with the air ride seat, I have only found one person who has managed this, ie, fitting a swivel plate on the air suspension seat, but it raised the seat height by almost 4" which is way too high.
Don't know about air ride but they do raise about 70mm. OK for me and wife, who is 5'4", says OK for her but to drive but might need a foot cushion as passenger.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The van is in build this week - just hoping it got finished before Friday :)

I found out the hard way that I should have ticked “roof raills” on the options list. A month ago I bought a fulll length Fiamma F65S roll out awning ready to fit as soon as the van arrives. One draw back of the Crafter is that it is slightly curved all round and the LWB roof has a 60mm curve in its length. Fiamma do a specific fixing kit but it needs to fit to the OE roof rails so I asked the dealer to order them for me to fit and left it at that. This week I get told that the dealer can’t get them and they are factory fit only! In the end I had to order them from TPS at more than twice the price of the option for me to fit. Watch this space.

It gets complicated but because of the way VW stupid configurator works I had to order the van with a bulkhead. Otherwise to have an alarm fitted it would force me to have windows on the rear doors. Not a problem to unscrew the bulkhead (anyone have a use before I bin it) but it leaves the problem of trimming the B pillars. I have ordered a new set of factory trims that cover the whole post, a slightly expensive solution but avoids an untidy finish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We ordered ours last week & I'd been told to go for the roof-rails beforehand.

It's a right palaver trying to add business pack, swivel seats & bulkhead delete. Also folding mirrors made us select Blind Spot Assist!

I'd be interested to know the part no's for the b pillar trims as I'll be whipping the bulkhead out as soon as we take delivery.

I've also got a company working on seat swivels for me, they reckon that older Vito ones fit as long as you drill out the rear holes.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
We ordered ours last week & I'd been told to go for the roof-rails beforehand.

It's a right palaver trying to add business pack, swivel seats & bulkhead delete. Also folding mirrors made us select Blind Spot Assist!

I'd be interested to know the part no's for the b pillar trims as I'll be whipping the bulkhead out as soon as we take delivery.

I've also got a company working on seat swivels for me, they reckon that older Vito ones fit as long as you drill out the rear holes.
I managed to get the rails direct from TPS - same people the local dealership uses - collecting this week but at twice the OE cost.

Tell me delete the bulkhead and the alarm insists you have rear door windows and wipers!! The configurator is painful and and you and I absolutely know the combinations it forces aren't needed to build a van but they won't bend.

Will let you know part numbers for trims when they turn up.

Probably the same folk I spoke to about the swivels - I think they used RIB. Problem is they a) aren't approved and b) used RIB swivels before and had endless seat creaking.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The latest news is that the van is at the UK docks so it should be here any day.

So here is the planned layout of our van - subject to final dimensions once I get my hands on it. The driver and passenger seats swivel and the bench seat pulls out to a 1900x1200 double bed. The kitchen has a microwave under the hob and there is a 150ltr fridge with a big freezer compartment in the tall unit. At the back is a toilet / shower and behind and beside that is a bit of garage space accessed from the rear doors. You will notice too that Fred gets his own kennel.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You wouldn't happen to have a link or part no for the rails would you?
For LWB

Front = 7C0860645E
Mid = 7C0860645C
Rear = 7C0860645F

Despite what the VW parts book shows they come complete with end caps and joiners. Just need M6 nuts and washers.

41 - 60 of 220 Posts