VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Did you ever get anywhere with your query on the 2.4 non turbo. I have a Compass 2 berth coachbuilt with an AAB engine and am thinking of the turbo route to help on the hills, I can't seem to get real figures on the points you raised. mpg b4 & after + accelaration b4 & after
T.I.A Pete

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. 2.4 turbo the mpg figures are the same. Perfomance wise nearly as good as a 2.5 acv. My mates 102 bhp
Struggles to keep up with mine and he one goes well

Very worthwhile. Doing

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi, This is an excellent thread with some really good info and photos.
I am about to start a turbo conversion (this afternoon) on my 280k 1995 caravelle.
I have the standard 2.5TDI kit, Manifolds, turbo, oil pipes dipstick etc.. bought myself a turbo hose, also some hose for waste gate actuator, turbo gauge and a manual boost controller.
I have blanked the EGR port on the exhaust manifold and I have modified the EGR casting for the inlet manifold (removing the EGR completely and machining it to accept the hose.
I have bought turbo gaskets and inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets.

I think the only thing I don't quite have covered is the oil pipe union at the oil filter housing. The pipe I have has a 12mm fine pitch banjo screw. I have a few alternatives (I wasn't going for the new pipe option). I have machine shop at my disposal so was going to make an adapter, probably from brass... or maybe taking the blanking screw and machining it/tapping it M12 fine..... I have M12 fine taps.
If my tapping in the filter housing turns out to be 16mm anyone know if this is likely to be standard pitch or fine pitch?
The other way I have of doing this is, I have the oil filter housing off the 2.5 with a 12mm tapping in it.. I was hoping not to disturb any of this stuff, but how big a job would it be, how likely to get oil leaks? will I need more gaskets and seals which I haven't bought....

@ndy

·
Registered
122 Posts
well the conversion all went really well, done by 7pm... just have to reconnect the exhaust and change the oil before I give it a try (tonight's job).
I used the original oil filter housing in the end and made a thread converter/adapter out of the blanking screw. Very easy to do, I drilled out the screw 10.5 mm (tapping size) then tapped the hole M12x1.5. made sure the surface was clean and flat for the banjo washers to seal.

here it is:

I screwed the adapter into the casting with its original sealing washer and a little thread lock. I screwed it down firmly with some grips before attaching the oil line banjo.
here it is in place:

@ndy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where does the actuator pipe go to? I can understand the rest I think well I hope haha as it's my daily driver and once I start it will need be finished same day ideally so want to make sure I completely understand before diving in head first

81 - 86 of 86 Posts