VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3679 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Brookster, as you know I did this conversion last year & it works fine but... my head gasket has started to leak oil on the outside side of the block. I'm changing mine for the steel ACV gasket, I suggest you do the same while its in bits.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Brookster, as you know I did this conversion last year & it works fine but... my head gasket has started to leak oil on the outside side of the block. I'm changing mine for the steel ACV gasket, I suggest you do the same while its in bits.

Cheers

not taking the head off at the moment but when i do take it off i will be changing for a steel gasket. When i do i will fit 2 X Steel gaskets to lower the compression to the same as ACV Spec Engine, 22.9 : 1 from memory but i'll check on that.

AAB Compression is 24.2 :1 or somthing like that. but i'll check the manual when i get it back.

Change for Steel Head Gaskets on my Golf Engines.

The Project Engine only has 90k on the clock so fingers crossed a few mile left.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was think about running 2 but was not sure on the compression ratio difference, cheers for that T:
A 1MM Gasket will reduce compression by 1 point and the steel gaskets are 1.6mm compressed.

as a result the compression with two gaskets will be around 2 points lower to arround - 22.8 :1 T:

PD170 Engines only run arround 18 : 1 compression

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Well nearly there the kit is almost complete just the dipstick oil return flange to sort.

Volvo V70 Exhaust downpipe £15 from a very good Volvo Breaker on e-bay, has flexi joint and is 2 1/2" diameter. nice bit of kit

Cone filter will be used due to compressor position

and Oil lines from a VW Passat & LT35

Should be ready to install at the weekend T:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Been busy at the breakers and dealers getting the final bits together.

Couldn't get the ACV dipstick from breakers as he didn't want to take it off a complete engine.

so had to shell out £52 from dealers I:

that won't be here till Tuesday so been busy do the short shift mod this aft. T:

30mins it took, and its an excellent modification, i now have 2" from 1st to 2nd :D

Also just checked the alternator for the Rev counter output

here it is i think the Red/Black cable off the alternator

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Fitting a EGR Blank Plate to the Octavia VRS PD170 Engine today.

The job takes 2 mins and stop all the nasty exhaust gas contaminating the inlet air when you let you foot off the pedal.

EGR Blank Plate

PD170 2.0L 16V Turbo Diesel Engine (Common Rail High Pressure Direct Injection)

You can see the metal pipe on the right is the exhaust gas return pipe from the exhaust manifold, this has a valve that opens and recirculates the exhaust gas to reduce emissions when you take your foot off the pedal.

Remove the 2 hex studs from the flange plate.

studs removed ready to insert the plate between.

Plate fitted between the pipe and inlet body

Studs refitted job done less than 2 mins

This also stops the inlet manifold getting all suted up with Oily soot which will over time reduce performance [:y:]

·
Registered
176 Posts
hi there this is a v good thred! helping loads as i have all the bits just need the info ! could you explain how to reduce the pressure from the turbo? cheers

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
hi there this is a v good thred! helping loads as i have all the bits just need the info ! could you explain how to reduce the pressure from the turbo? cheers

i will be using a boost controller mounted in the cabin under the dash T:

The Volvo V70 Has a electronic boost controller which connects to the outlet on the wastegate you can see, i will be trying to get hold on one at some point.

Boost controller connection point can be seen here on the far left

·
Registered
176 Posts
Done my turbo conversion over the weekend ! i had all the bits! or so i thought!!! could do with some help

1,getting a lot of oil in the intake from turbo?

2,got no pressure reading on my gauge?

and pressure boost controler does'nt seem to do anything?

please help needed!!!!!:*

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Done my turbo conversion over the weekend ! i had all the bits! or so i thought!!! could do with some help

1,getting a lot of oil in the intake from turbo?

2,got no pressure reading on my gauge?

and pressure boost controler does'nt seem to do anything?

please help needed!!!!!:*

have you got any pictures ?

Were is the oil coming from the Rocker cover Breather ?

or is the Turbo leaking,

with no boost pressure sounds like the Turbo is on its way out , did you check it before fitting ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
hi thanks for getting back to me!
it is coming from the output of the turbo! i have found an overhaul kit on flebay!!
i hooked the gauge up on the line that feeds the boost controler which is on the line from the turbo housing to the actuator?
help well appreciated!!!

and you guessed it i didnt check the turbo!

tryed to do pics couldnt figure it out ! got a photo bucket account ? still to techno!

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
i hooked the gauge up on the line that feeds the boost controler which is on the line from the turbo housing to the actuator?
help well appreciated!!!
Don't connect the Boost Gauge to the line to Actuator line.

it needs to come off the inlet manifold vacum connector.

What Turbo set up have you used VW 2.5TDI or a Volvo one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
brookster, got my fibre head gasket out & there is some leakage into the fire rings but the head is fine. I reckon its only lasted about 600 miles with this conversion at 0.5bar on mine, i'm replacing it with a single 1.6 triple layer steel Acv jobbie - it should solve the leaking problems...

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
brookster, got my fibre head gasket out & there is some leakage into the fire rings but the head is fine. I reckon its only lasted about 600 miles with this conversion at 0.5bar on mine, i'm replacing it with a single 1.6 triple layer steel Acv jobbie - it should solve the leaking problems...
The Steel ones are excellent did you get it from GSF ?

I would fitted two while you have the Head off to lower the compression so you can run some big boost T:

41 - 60 of 3679 Posts